1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Muscle Growth or Something Else??

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MysteriousMadam, Apr 15, 2015.

1. MysteriousMadam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone :slight_smile: happy hump day!
    So recently, I've been thinking about getting into running and lifting weights. More recreational running, not like track or marathons. Just non-competitive running to relieve stress and anxiety and to get some more exercise. I don't care much for the weight-lifting, but I heard that you need to balance aerobics with exercises for your muscles, so I'll just do it anyway. I'm not exactly skinny, but I'm not overweight or anything like that. My BMI is fine and my weight is proportional to my height but I still want to get more exercise and lose at least 10 lbs (I'll be around 115-120 then so it's not underweight or anything). I've grown taller recently so that kind of helps too.
    Currently when I get a chance to run, usually in PE class around a track because we're outside now because the weather's nicer, I usually run then walk run then walk. Walking to help catch my breath and cool down kind of. We have 6.5 minutes to complete 2 laps around the track, and while I usually finish with time to spare, I can't run (without having to walk) the whole time because I can't really breathe and my chest starts to hurt. My legs especially, they start aching a lot. Not a sharp pain, but just a really aching, tired pain. I sometimes get these leg pains put of nowhere, but it's mainly after I'm done running. I've been told that's it either growing pains from getting taller, my muscles are developing from the exercise, or my muscles are aching because I didn't warm up and ran. I kind of worry that it's something else though. My hips start to hurt and even when I walk hours later, it still hurts. Even now, 7 hours after my gym class today, my thighs are still aching. What do you think is up here? Any other ideas or suggestions?
    Thanks everyone :grin: have a wonderful day!!

2. Cesar123

Any kind os strenuous exercise causes the muscle fibers in the area to tear forcing them to rebuild ( and rebuild bigger ). This is actually how muscles become bigger and stronger! The place that is aching hours after the exercise is the part that got hit with the most damage. Make sure you are stretching before and after running to avoid injury and relax the muscle. Stay hydrated and eat healthy as well. Eat plenty of protein to repair the muscle. If you wish to build up your endurance and last longer than run in intervals! There is nothing hear to be concerned about it.

If you for feel a sharp pain and are unable to move your leg anymore, you might have ripped a tendon and need to see a doctor. Again, stretching avoids this.