1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depression

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Bryan, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Bryan

Hi-
    Wow. If feels like a long time since I have posted on EC, but I didn't really know where else to turn.

Ok, So recently, I have been showing a lot of signs of depression. Actually all of them with the exception of self harm and suicide. (i.e.: I gained ALOT of weight, I am doing terribly in school, I cant focus on anything, I am achey and sore and sick all of the time, My stomach is constantly upset, and to state the obivous, I am always sad and I just want to be alone):icon_sad:
    Looking back, I can only think of one thing in my life that would have caused this depression, and that would be the fact that I am gay, and the related issues that I have had to deal with.
    I am going to see a shrink soon, but I was wondering if anyone else here has experienced something similar or if you had any insight in to my issue.

Thanks So much
    Bryan

2. thespanishheart

We're both in the same situation I think.

I have all the same symptoms except for weight gain and bad grades... My grades are going up and down, so I can't really count those, but I seem to have a lot of the same things you do.

Does your stomach seem to be upset only in the mornings generally?

3. Mickey

Yup...sounds like depression to me. I have battled with anxiety/depression
    for years. I was on Paxil for a long time and it got to the point
    of not working,anymore.
    I'm still trying to find the right one.
    I'm glad you're going to a professional. Depression totally sucks. It's nothing to
    be ashamed about. Many people suffer from it for different reasons and to
    different degrees.
    I have clinical depression. My father had serious mental problems,so it's no
    surprise that me and my sister have issues. Thankfully nothing even close
    to the severity of his. Ours can be controlled with meds.
    I wish you luck. I hope everything turns out well for you.
    Mickey*

4. Bunny

Same thing here.

5. Bryan

Thanks guys. It is kinda nice to know I am not alone. I guess I will find out more when I go to the shrink.

6. Bryan

Spanish Heart-
    Yeah, I do get really bad stomach aches in the morning. Sometimes the thought of getting up and going to school makes me feel a bit sick. Then I feel really depressed in the afternoon and evening. I am sorry that you are going through alot of what I am going through, but if it is any consolation, i totally understand. Just out of curiosity... Have you seen a therapist or a shrink, or tried to get any help? I saw that you are 18. Are you a senior in HS, or a freshmen in College?

Mickey- thanks, hopefully the professionals will help me out.

7. Bunny

I'm talking to a counselor right now (two, actually) and it really, really helps.

8. Bryan

Sounds good lying figure. I am going to go and see a therapist, and hopefully that will help. I would prefer talk therapy to drugs.

9. thespanishheart

I'm a college freshmen.

I've always had a weird stomach, so maybe it's just coincidence. It seems to act up the most when I'm nervous about stuff or something. Only in the morning usually though.

10. trikuriboh

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I know the feeling but I am slowly getting over it by trying to listen to what I want to do than what everyone else wants me to do. The thing u should try to do is find out the cause and well change it that is if u can

11. Bryan

Spanish Heart- I am in a similar situation. I have GERD all of the time, but when my depression bothers me, I get the worst stomach aches. I recently was told that the same receptor in the brain that controls depression/happiness also controls alot of stomach stuff. I will ask the shrink about this when I go on Tuesday

Trikuriboh- that is actually a really good point. I never want to do the things that stress me out in life. I am going to work with a shrink to try to find a cause.

thanks for all of your help guys, I really appreciate it!

Bryan

12. musican

I am depressed and I was depressed but got better last year too. I cant use medication, or rather I won't because when I tried it last year it made me feel worse. In about a week, I'm going to start seeing a therapist who has experience helping people with gay/lesbian issues So I hope that will help a lot; when I went to therapists in the past, I ignored my confusion about my sexuality and didnt want to talk about it becasue I thought talking about it would make it true. Now I've accepted that I'm gay and I've come out to my best friend, her mom, my mom and my older sister. All have been supportive, but I feel like I need something else. I need someone I can talk to who can understand how I feel, but I dont actually know any gay people IRL. People here are really nice, but an internet friendship inst nearly as good as an in-person one. I also feel really lonely becuase I see people getting married and going out with their boyfriends or girlfriends and I know that I can't have that for a while :frowning2:

13. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A bit late to this party, but I'll chime in anyway.

>>>Looking back, I can only think of one thing in my life that would have caused this depression, and that would be the fact that I am gay, and the related issues that I have had to deal with.

I've been in two major depressions in my life. One was in 1994, the other was this year. You know what caused them?

Nothing.

Well, I'm sure there was SOMETHING going on. A chemical imbalance, most likely. But each time, I made the same mistake you did. I assumed that I was depressed because of something in my life. My work, my social life, my thoughts about the world, whatever. But it wasn't. My brain was just messed up. And I'm thinking perhaps you're in the same situation. If there's no obvious cause to why you're depressed, your brain's chemistry just might be a bit out of whack. It happens.

Do give a second thought to medication. I went through the depression of 1994 without medication, and the one this year with. This one went a LOT smoother. And the medication wasn't heavy-duty. I didn't feel like a zombie, or feel like "not me". It just enabled me to move my brain away from depressive thoughts again. I did a few side effects, but they were quite mild. I got a bit of tinnitus (ringing) in my right ear for about two minutes about half an hour after I took the pill, and for the first two or three weeks, I felt a bit "vague" for about an hour when the pill kicked in. (You know how you feel when you take cough syrup? A bit like that.) But that was it. It took about a week for the medication to have some effect, since it was quite mild. But within two weeks, I was already certainly much better. I still had depressing thoughts, but they weren't constant. I could think about other things, and get stuff done without having to force myself to put one foot in front of the other.

It may be you don't need medication, and therapy will be all you need. If so, great. But do remain open to the possibility that it's a chemical imbalance, because if it is, then therapy won't be able to do much but help you "hang on" until your brain rights itself.

Lex

14. Blaz

Blaz Guest

I'm the same way. It used to be much worse in high school, but in college it's subsided for the most part.

15. Bryan

Musican- I can totally sympathize. It kinda hurts when you get to see couples in love (and you want what they have) but you know you cant experience that until you come out (which isnt an option for me right now :frowning2: ).

Lex, thanks for the advice. When I go to meet with the shrink tomorrow, I will ask about medication. I have a cousin who is seriously depressed, and the medication works for him. Apparently this can be genetic, so maybe some drugs are what I need right now.

Blaz, thanks for that! I can be optimistic about next year (I am a senior in HS).

16. s5m1

Bryan, I experienced significant depression after my marriage fell apart and I was finally dealing with being gay. Therapy helped me greatly. My sexuality was one of the causes of my depression but it was not the only one. I am now depression free and have been for a long time now. While I considered medication, I ultimately opted to go solely with talk therapy, which was quite successful. I am glad to hear you are seeking help. While you may not be able to see it now, with therapy, these feelings will go away and you should be able to live a happy life.

17. coriolis

coriolis Guest

I think I know how you feel. I was depressed off and on for 3 or 4 years. The only difference is that I lost an unhealthy amount of weight. The way I eventually got over it was by changing my entire outlook on life. That didn't mean I came out or anything, but I started taking things less seriously in a way. I dunno if this is any good to you, but......

Anyway, excercise is supposed to help.

18. krazykyle

krazykyle Guest

I've been anti-depressent free for a year now, Depression really destroyed my life 2 years ago...Talk to someone, a psychologist preferably, they really help sort things out and get you out. My severe weight loss, loss of appetite, and insomnia really destroyed my habits and mood. Anti-depressants really help in bringing those things back, see someone. While on the anti-depressants I found jogging with really good music or driving around for an hour by myself helped me dissect the things of my day, Find something you love or loved before or during your depression to help you bring yourself and focus as well. Good Luck and Take care of yourself

19. RonApple

RonApple Guest

I'm with you, I haven't got all the signs, but I am depressed either way, and its also about me being gay.
    Hope things turn round soon :kiss:

20. Bryan

Thanks for all of the support guys!
    I met with a therapist today, and we are going to do talk therapy. He seems to think it is alot of factors, but like RonApple said it is alot about me being gay.

I am also going to have an evaluation with a Shrink to see if I should go on medicine. My therapist thought it was a good idea to do the talk therapy in conjunction with medicine. What do you guys think about this?

Thanks Again for the help :slight_smile:

Bryan