1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Safe Oral - yeah, another one... :-|

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheHesitantAlien, Apr 18, 2015.

1. TheHesitantAlien

Hey everyone, random question:
    Is it safe to perform oral sex without a condom if you've washed everything, been STI checked and/or don't cum? Just wondering! :slight_smile:

Thanks all!
    - Leo

2. 404dotexe

No clue, sorry.
    But if i did do oral i would like to taste their cum! :wink:

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No it's not. You can get Gonorhea or chlaymdia as well as herpes and hpv. Those are just the things I can think of right now. The problem with oral is that most guys precum which has many of the same elements as cum, and any infection they may have you will get exposed to even if they don't cum. If they don't cum, your risk is lower, but it's not completely safe. About washing... I've read not to brush your teeth right before giving oral.

4. Cesar123

You could use a dental dam I guess...you would look really weird though. Just inspect the penis, if you notice something out of the ordinary ask your partner about it. Remember to always swallow the cum / precum to prevent getting HIV ( unless you have cuts and / or sores in your mouth, tongue, or esophagus ).

Good Luck!

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Austin basically has it right. There are risks for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and herpes All are pretty easy to transmit. The good news is, two of the three are pretty easy to treat. (herpes is pretty much incurable but not that serious.)

HIV transmission via oral is possible but considered to be pretty low risk.

For HIV and anal sex, there's simply no sensible reason not to use a condom as the sensation difference is almost imperceptible. For oral, the risk of HIV is lower, and there's a bigger sensation difference.

In general, if you're going to be with someone you don't know, then using a condom for oral sex, as unappealing as it may sound, is the safe way to go. And even with someone you do know, if they are promiscuous, you need to weigh your concern with the risk against your willingness to use a condom.

6. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right! Think about what happens when you get your teeth cleaned and you spit out. The gums need a while to recover from brushing or flossing.

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

And another one that also can be transmitted is the garden variety strep/staph infection, either as strep throat or NGU (non gonococcal urethritis) where there is bacteria in the urinary tract, but it's neither gonorrhea nor chlamydia. It's the mother of all STIs, for both men and women. It's easy to treat, as long as they use the most appropriate antibiotics.

As for herpes and even HPV, if contracted, they are not curable. I've heard that the virus sheds over time, outbreaks are further apart, and the risk on infecting someone decreases. So many people supposedly have some type of herpes (I or II) and don't even know it because they are asymptomatic.

Since the risks of transmission of HIV via oral sex are very low, it would be interesting to see numerical information on condom use during oral sex versus intercourse involving tighter bodily orifices. I think very few people actually use condoms during oral sex. I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. I just think that people weigh out which infections they can get against the pleasure they get.

A condom makes oral sex close to 100% safe.

#6 Tightrope, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  7. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends on how active the person is. Just a couple days ago, I met up with a person who never experimented with a guy, and was only with a girl. We both wanted to have fun but also safely, so we went ahead with oral.

But before that, I met up with a guy that wasn't sexually active for the past year or two, and he get's checked regularly. Should have used a condom for anal sex, but I was high for sex so I didn't even care. I regret it, no doubt, but he's one of those guys that don't want any trouble, and if he suspects anything fishy with the guy then he'll back off and leave, so I trusted him when he said he was negative.

But please use a condom for anal, don't make the same mistake I did, and definitely use a condom for oral if even for a second you doubt the person's status.