1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Face shaving tips?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BradThePug, Apr 18, 2015.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, I'm hitting the point where I am going to need to shave my face for the first time. I have no idea what I am doing really. I have 5 blade razors. So, if anybody has any tips on how to shave without cutting my face open that would be awesome :slight_smile:

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. You're going to want to make sure to make sure your face is a little wet/damp before you shave. Shaving after showering ensures your pores are open. The water you want to clean your razor in needs to be about room temperature though, as anything hot may make it easier to get razor burns and stuff.
    2. Apply shaving cream or gel liberally. I find Barbasol to be the best fit for me, but it may be different for you. You may want to have one with aloe vera or some soothing stuff in it as well, as that helps with irritation. I'd lay off ones that have scents until you get used to shaving.
    3. Clean your razor often. 5 blade razors are nice, and that's what I use, but they need cleaned after every stroke to every few strokes, depending on how much hair there is. Also make sure your razor is sharp. Using a dull razor is a good way to have cuts. A bunch of higher quality razors have indicators on them (usually a blue strip that will fade over time).
    4. Go in short, slow, gentle strokes going with the grain. If you want to go against the grain, make sure you have plenty of cream or gel.
    5. Make sure to use aftershave. It helps make sure that there will be less or no razor burn. You can go with one that has a cooling property as well if you'd like.
    6. If you do nic yourself, put a little (and I mean very little, trust me, it will burn if you do too much) aftershave on the cut or nic and take a piece of toilet paper and compress until it stops bleeding.

That's about it. I hope this helped, and happy shaving Brad. :slight_smile:

3. guitar

Listen to everything Bryan says. I would recommend getting an electric for $40 or so. I use mine daily & very much prefer it to a razor and it's virtually impossible to cut yourself. It doesn't give as close of a shave, but my facial hair grows back in less than a day so I don't really care.

4. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Electric or manual depends on what you're going after. Bryan's right, though I find my razor works better and gets cleaner with hot water. If you want to leave the look of just a tiny amount of stubble, go for electric. Instead of just after a warm shower, you want your face dry, so do this before the shower. Turn it on and glide the head in a circular pattern around your face if the razor has rotating blades (usually you'll see 3 circles on the head for this type). If it has oscillating blades, you want to move in lines with the grain. Note that unlike a manual razor, you need to shave regularly, as long whiskers may not get past the screen, or may pull instead of being cut.

In any case, manual or electric, sharp blades work much better.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you go with the non-electric version, I recommend you also get yourself a "styptic pencil" (a few dollars at any drugstore/walmart/etc, and lasts forever) - great to quickly stop the rare but annoying cuts you may inflict upon your face (I still manage to get myself once or twice a year).

Some other good tips and a demo here as well
    [YOUTUBE]Oy6-sqz3Mig[/YOUTUBE]

6. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think Bryan covered most of it. Just remember to let the razor do the work. Pressing the blade against your skin will not result in a closer shave, but will lead to more cuts.

7. KayJay

Mostly what everyone says above. Cold water, let the blade glide (don't press it down). If you want to go against the grain for a smoother shave I'd recommend going once with the grain and then back up against the grain. I find that irritates the face less.

8. QuixoticSJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think the shape of your face matters a bit. I've found that a narrower razor head (2-3 blades) helps me shave closer without nicking. Also, I've tried many electrics but was never satisfied with the closeness of the shave. Finally, when you are growing more regularly, shaving every day is much easier and more comfortable than shaving twice a week and being stubbly in between.

9. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't quite have enough facial hair for the stubble look yet sadly. So, I'm mostly just wanting to make myself not have the patchy look. Thanks for the advice so far everybody!

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Just use an electric and go slow. Get some aftershave balm if you have irritation.