1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you know when anxiety/depression medication starts to work?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LionHearted, Apr 22, 2015.

1. LionHearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I started taking anxiety/depression medication about a week ago. When does it start to work? How do you know it works? I'm also nervous/worried about it making my personality change. It won't do that, right?

2. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It usually starts working after a week and a half - two weeks. You'll obviously still be yourself but a less depressed self, honestly. It may take longer fire stronger effect though it depends. >.<

3. LionHearted

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay, thank you so much :slight_smile: it's my first time taking this kind of medicine and I was too nervous to ask my doctor.. But thank you :slight_smile:

4. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dont mention it sweeheart :slight_smile: never hesitate to speak to your doctor if you have any doubts or questions your doctor is there to answer those questions and to eliminate the doubts :slight_smile: dont be afraid hun n_n

5. Hiems

Unicorn Queen is correct. Anxiolytics and antidepressants tend to have therapeutic lag. That is, it takes awhile for their effects to kick in.

I'm not too sure on the personality change.

If you're taking an SSRI, side effects may include weight gain and drowsiness. Be careful while driving/operating machinery. If you get unexplained weight gain, then talk to your doctor about it.

6. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    You will most likely notice a change after about two weeks, but the full effects take about a month. If there is no change than a higher dosage may be needed. As for side effects, I have never experienced any as far as I know.

7. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff
    It actually vary, depends on the type of medication prescribed

if your doctor prescribe a SSRI (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor) like Fluoxetine, Paroxetine, Sertraline, etc. They will start to show the benefit from week 1 and full effect will achieved in the 2nd week. Typically the doctor will readjust the dose in 2 to 4 weeks depending the response.

on the other hand if your doctor prescribe Benzodiazepine like Alprazolam, Diazepam, Lorazepam, etc. They gave immediate relieve of anxiety (very short onset time). Unfortunately this type of medication will need close monitoring due to highly addictive substance and they tend to require higher dose each week to maintain anxiety relieving property.

ps: you should ask about the problem you have in mind to your physician, its THEIR JOB to gave you the answer until you are satisfied

#7 sartorious, Apr 23, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As others have said, there's a lag. Reason being - your brain is a really really complicated piece of equipment. Rather than suddenly yank it in a new direction (which might cause it damage), anti-depressant medication usually just starts nudging it in the right direction, so it can take a bit of time for your brain to finally be headed the right way.

When my medication finally kicked in, it was like having the clouds part for the first time in months. It was the first moment of "normalcy" I had felt in recent memory. It happened in the weirdest place, too - while sitting at the carpet counter at Home Depot. :slight_smile: And it didn't last that long - maybe thirty seconds. But that was all I needed. I knew then that I could break the hold it had on me, and it made me all the more determined to do so. The "breaks in the clouds" started happening more and more frequently, lasting longer and longer, and even the "cloudy" times didn't seem as bad.

Lex

9. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There is a 'lag' as everyone has said
    But no reason why your 'personality' would change
    you should just feel calmer.

Some meds, paradoxically, can make you feel a bit worse initially for a week or so .. and so if you do not feel quite 'right' then just bear with it .. it will get better.