1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Achilles Tendinitis?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by xballetxbeautyx, Nov 23, 2008.

1. A few weeks ago, the back of my right ankle- like where the Achilles tendon is- was hurting when I would go up on demi-pointe (rising up on the ball of your foot). Pointe (all the way on your toes) was even worse. My teacher said to ice it, so I did, and eventually it stopped hurting. However, now it seems like I've lost all strength and flexibility I used to have in that foot! Ugh. I've been using my theraband (like a giant rubber band used for strengthening and stretching) and the right is getting better, but now the left hurts. *rolls eyes* I'm stretching it out between exercises and icing it. If I'm careful and I keep stretching and icing, is this going to cause any long-term problems? ~megan~

2. MLCarr

I know what this is! So what you did was you smashed the bursa sack that is in the back of your ankle. I would suggest that you ask your mom (because you're 14) to go see a Orthopedic Sports Medicine doctor. I did this recently and he actually had me in physical therapy for 3 weeks. THIS WILL NOT HEAL without a doctor. I know you probably know what you're doing because you have a theraband already, but I would still say go see a doctor. This is a painful condition, but it only hurts when you agrivate it. I know you feel like it's getting better, but I promise you it will not heal without a doctor... Just trust me, I tried for two years and finally ended up with corrective surgery on my other tendon because I overused it and tore it while trying to compensate for this injury. Take my advice and don't do what I did. It's not worth the time or the money!

3. ColdSnap

i can't offer any advice on the stretching and stuff, but i had achilles tendinitis when i was younger, at your age actually, and the doctor told me there wasn't a lot i could do, and it was mainly attributed to growing pains, and sure enough about 18 months down the line it wasn't a problem anymore.

so an unhelpful as this is :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: i suggest you just ride it out :slight_smile:

4. epiphanies

I had Achilles tendinitis a couple years ago, and it was horrible. I couldn't walk more than a couple minutes without it tightening up and causing me to limp. For rehab, I did a LOT of icing. we had a cold whirl pool and I would ice for about 20 minutes, then stretch. And after physical activity I would ice again for 20-30 minutes. That works a whole lot better than ice bags. They thought I hurt my bursa, but it turned out I didn't. It may not be that serious, but going to a professional always helps. However, if that is not an option, icing and stretching is the way to go!

5. Thanks, everyone. I spoke to my ballet teacher and she said to rest, elevate, and ice it, and I'm going to watch rather than taking class tomorrow. There's no problem after that- I'm off for a week because of Thanksgiving. I talked to my mom as well and she's planning on calling a doctor if it doesn't go away.

Thanks again! ~megan~