1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Herpes

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by waitingsucks, Nov 26, 2008.

1. waitingsucks

I've heard that herpes is a really common STD and although I'm not completely ignorant of safe-sex, I know you should always use a condom and condom-safe lube etc. to reduce risk of STDs, but I heard that you can get herpes just from contact with the genital area. Therefore what else should you do to prevent the risk of getting herpes that way. I head something about covering the genitals with glad-wrap but I don't know if that's right

any help would be appreciated, as I go to a school where they only teach you half the stuff and are too nervous to go into detail. lol

2. KaraBulut

Herpes Simplex (HSV) is a virus that is spread by skin to skin contact. Herpes infects the skin on the mouth, genitals or rectum. A condom will help reduce the chance of spread of the virus but it is not 100% foolproof. There are people who have the virus and are contagious but don't have any visible lesions or sores.

The good news is that incidence of HSV is higher in the straight population compared to gay men and lesbians. The bad news is that another virus called human papilloma virus (HPV) is becoming more common in both straight and gay people. HPV causes genital warts, cervical cancers, oral cancers, among other problems.

3. waitingsucks

Is their any additional protection from HPV? or is it only condoms one can use?

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest