1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm having issues with catheterization

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GayNurse95, May 10, 2015.

1. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    as the title suggests, I've been having to use catheters for my bladder since it has a bad case of retention.
    They are the ones that go in only when I need to use the bathroom. They do not stay in.
    Here are my issues-
    I have been trying different sizes out. I was started with a 14Fr. it hurt a lot to insert even when it was heavily lubricated. When I finish, my bladder keeps pinching into it. The sphincters keep pinching into the holes on top to drain the urine. It scrapes against it, and it contracts. it makes it bleed and hurt like crazy. it makes me reluctant to catheterize.
    I tried 10fr and the sphincters kept pinching into the curettes (tiny holes top). The only ones that work are 8fr's. They still hurt a bit but have less of a chance of pinching. they are small, but slow. I lubricate them, and even then I have a hard time getting them in. I can't see the pee hole well and it is hard to get it in. I often have to squat or sit and I still have pain.
    How do I make this stop and why is this happening???? Why am I pinching and scraping? Is this normal? Help please
    :bang:

2. Hiems

Not really sure about the use of catheters for urinary retention. However, using them does seem like a lot of work to go through to alleviate the problem.

There are some prescription drugs out there that treat urinary incontinence, which could be responsible for urinary retention. Perhaps you could seek a doctor's advice for suggestions.

3. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    no…
    no…
    retention is the OPPOSITE of incontinence.

---------- Post added 10th May 2015 at 02:37 PM ----------

I already saw a doctor and he keeps putting me on catheters. I just want to stop the pinching. I am going to keep asking until SOMEONE knows the answer.
    Saying "I don't know" isn't going to help. If you know the answer tell me. If you don't, then don't post a reply telling me you don't know.
    Please, I just need tips because its not helping. Help

4. Hiems

I apologize for the error. There are different types of urinary incontinence, and the one I thought that was related to your problem was stress urinary incontinence. But after looking over the pathophysiology, that's not what you have at all, and so what I posted was incorrect.

Sorry that you have this problem, and hopefully someone else who is familiar with using catheters for urinary retention can give advice.

5. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

what kind of catheter did you use??
    metals or rubbers??

6. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    they are plastic.

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm certainly not an expert, but part of using catheters is not just their size, but also technique. Your doctor would probably be the best to explain why it's happening, but unfortunately, there's not really a way to make them comfortable, as nature really doesn't intend for solid objects (catheters) to be in the urethra. And, most likely, if you are having issues of retention to the point you need to use a catheter, one or both of the sphincters are likely to be rather tight, increasing the discomfort.

8. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its really hurting a lot…
    I think Im getting an infection in my bladder. it REALLY hurts. I can;t see a urologist until next week because I have to work. We are very short staffed…
    So, do I need to use more lubricant? what do I do?

9. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arffff

temporarily switch the lubricant with the one that contain local anasthetics...
    in the place where i work there are water based lubricant that contains 1% lidocaine, it gave temporary relief of pain during insertion but not during removal..

10. TraceElement

Have you tried lying on your back with one leg flat and with the other leg bent at the knee and "dropped" off to the side? Have you tried propping one foot on the side of your tub or toilet?
    Also, knowing that it hurts/will hurt will make you "clamp down" on the catheter even more. Remember to take nice slow, deep breaths. Playing a soothing song, ocean waves, or something similar might be a distraction that can take the edge off.
    If you think you may get a bladder infection or uti, drink cranberry juice or take a cranberry tablet.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What they said...

12. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, yes. I am drinking lots of juice, cranberry juice.
    how will I know if the catheter is too big?
    also, where can I find lubricant with numbing agent?
    I apply lubricant on the catheter myself. is there another way to apply to think it will help? thanks

13. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also use catheters for retention since December of last year. Luckily I haven't had the problems you're having. I initially used ones I had to lubricate myself, but am now using a product from Coloplast called SpeediCath. It is lubricated in the package the full length of the catheter and works a lot better. I know there is a lidocaine gel you put on the outside of the penis that you can get. You need to apply it a little while before you cath and wait for it to take effect. Hope you can get this problem resolved soon.

14. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Where can I find this gel?
    I looked at the site and requested a few samples. I hope they work and I can use my insurance there…
    some have suggested trying another position… I might see how that goes.
    Also, I have a hard time pin pointing the urethra. Sometimes its hard to see and I often miss. How can I find it correctly each time? thanks

15. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The gel is something you'll have to ask your doctor about. It is available by prescription only. I've never used it myself. Have you tried using a mirror to help you with insertion?

16. GayNurse95

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't find any mirrors for that.
    Where can I find one?

17. 99701

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would think anything would work. I'm usually sitting on my bed when I cath (use a portable urinal I got the last time I was in a hospital). If I was having that problem I would put the mirror on the floor between my legs. I would also talk to my urologist or one of his nurses for suggestions.