1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If a condom breaks, would you be able to feel it?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Driftr, May 16, 2015.

1. Driftr

I know people caution to watch out for any rips in the condom, but would you be able to feel it if it rips?

And does that mean one shouldn't thrust hard during sex to lessen the risk of a condom ripping?

All I know is I use lube every time as well as a condom and I know people say to use lots of lube. But is there a way to measure how much lube is the right amount? Let's just say I'm using the lube packets that you get at a clinic. How many packets would I have to open so it would be the right amount?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you really can't use too much lube. OK, maybe you can, but in practice, you don't need to worry about too much, usually about too little. Also, in general, silicone-based lube usually works better than water-based.

As far as feeling the condom... most people I know have not immediately noticed, so you need to keep an eye on it. However, if you're using good condoms designed for anal sex, they should be able to withstand most anything you throw at them.

3. Incognito10

Definitely make sure you use enough lube to reduce the friction being put on the condom as that is the cause of them ripping. I had one experience where a condom ripped and and my partner informed me (he was the top) because I could not tell it had broken. It was due to insufficient lube.

4. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aren't all condoms designed for anal sex? Which ones are not?

5. Incognito10

I remember maybe 15 years ago when I had my first experience with a box of condoms, they had some statement on the box about being "approved for vaginal use only" or some similar phrase, so it made me think the condom manufactures did not want to issue any guarantee about the condoms integrity for other forms of sex (i.e. anal being the only other form a condom would typically be used). I don't know what they say now, I don't really look.

6. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I should look at the box. Dang. Never thought it would be a problem. Hope we will be ok.

7. Incognito10

Well, yeah, it comes down to a lube issue. The anus is going to produce much more friction, and from what I've been told only, the ass is tighter than a vagina, so there is just those risks that contribute to making the chance of a condom breaking increase in comparison to a vagina.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Manufacturers keep getting better and better with the technology, but many of the "ultra thin" condoms are not really intended for anal use because, quite frankly, it puts more strain on the condom and so it's more likely to break.

There are also certain types of condom that are marked, specifically, "designed for anal use" which are the best choice. Any condom is better than no condom, but finding one that you like, that is also durable, is your best bet.