1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever self-harmed?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by itsmary, May 17, 2015.

1. itsmary

I used to self-harm when I was 13-15. I stopped when I turned 16 years old because for me, self-harming was stupid... I thought I was just craving for attention and that it was the time to grow up...
    After almost 2 years the other day I self-harmed again. I don't know why. I don't want attention. I cut my legs. I guess it made me relieve the pain. I'm suffering a social/personality disorder and it's taking my life away. I'm taking anti depressants but they're not working for now...

I try to be positive. I know things will get better some day. But I want to know your story, have you ever self-harmed? you still do it?

2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I was 15 I started cutting because I couldn't handle being bullied at school. Almost every night for about 5 months. Before I went to sleep I would take my razor and cut all down my arms (to my elbows), my hands, and fingers. The next morning my sheets would have little blood spots on them. My mom would put Polysporin on me before school. Even though my cuts were very visible no one asked me about them. My mom had me see a consellor for a few weeks. It didn't help much. I eventually decided to stop one day just because. Luckily I have no scars. I look back and think about how stupid I was for doing that.

3. YunoGasai

i did it for about 4 months ,i started to question almost everything about me and my life(gender,sexuality,ect...).suicidal thoughts ran rampent through my mind and it made me even more depressed and that made me isolate myself and that led to even worse thoughts. at its worst stage i wrote a suicide note and attempted to take my own life.it didn't work of course and a few days later a friend told the student support about the self harm (the suicide attempt is still not known)and i got help from that and i started to work things out .now i almost never feel like that.but the scars are still clear as day though :/ - U grade english right here.

4. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to cut. It's been about a year since I've done it, but it would help me focus when I was stressed. I actually stopped because I was forced to get help. I didn't appreciate it at the time, but now I do.

5. Acm

Acm Guest

I never did it for extended periods of time, but I did on and off from about 8th grade to 11th grade. Pretty rarely, but I still would do it. I haven't done it in a while, sometimes I still want to but when I really think about it, it never actually makes me feel any better, so I try to refrain.

6. Whovian6789

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I used to cut. It was my arm. Used a pair of sissiors. Had to wear long sleeves for a long time. Even in summer. My advice is don't do it no matter what.

7. itsmary

I'm happy to read that most of you stopped cutting. I wish I had never felt the urge to cut my skin. It's completely useless.

8. Yosia

Unfortunately, yes I have. It started as mainly a coping strategy but got quite addictive. I never cut very deep so my scars have faded, but I hope to never start again, and will always help others to try and stop.

9. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm sorry to hear that you felt the need to start cutting again. If the medication isn't working than maybe ask your doctor to give you a different brand.

10. Bi in MD

Out Status:
    A few people
    does suicide attempt by pills count or is this only for cutting and such.

11. Images and Words

Yes. Stopped about 7 months ago. All but one scar have gone. I feel better about myself now than I ever did before, although I still have pretty bad social anxiety

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yeah, when I was a teenager. I've been clean for 7 years now.

13. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

I wanted to asked the same exact question

Never try cut myself

but i try suicide once and end up in medically induced coma after several procedure

14. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I used to cut. I haven't done it in many years, but I have scars.

15. nevers

Out Status:
    All but family
    I used to and I'm only about a month clean. I stopped mostly when I got a girlfriend that loves me for who I am and thinks the world of me, and the fact that it's mutual is beautiful. I stopped because I know how much it hurts her and because I can't keep it from her.

16. devotchka

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to when I was in middle school and my freshman year of high school. I've been clean for 2 years and 3 months. I'd just like to throw it out there that anyone who is struggling, I understand the legitimacy of what you're growing through and if you ever feel like you just need someone to talk to or help you through it, I'm here. Good luck to everyone :slight_smile:

17. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thankfully, never.

18. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder at age 10, and middle school was a pretty dark time for me. My usual methods were scratching with fingernails or any sharp object I could get my hands on, digging my fingernails into my arm so hard it would bleed or leave welts, and a few times, cutting. I had been clean for about a year until this morning- a depression episode hit me hard last night and I just... :/
    I hate to say this because I hate that I do this, but it felt good. It relieved a lot of tension.

19. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I self-harmed once when I was 14. I was nonchalant about it and had told my sister about it and the look on her face had me regret ever doing it.

I never did it again after that.

20. Schloss

Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm quite surprised at how many people here have self-harmed. For some odd reason and even after having one hell of a roller-coaster ride of a young adulthood, I never resorted to it, much less thought about it.

My dad just cut himself yesterday though after taking a dozen Valium pills. He's on the road to suicide. I guess it's a compound of helplessness, rage, and inability to take control... I think: we really need to just take all the negativity out there less seriously. It helps a lot.