1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapist

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Z3ni, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I think I read that some people has therapists, Im thiking of getting one but.. Where do I start?

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

As you are in the UK I suggest you start by speaking to your doctor. Maybe you could ask to see a female doctor at the surgery if that's easier? Explain the situation and see if they can offer help on the NHS.

I don't know what sort of support is available from the NHS though. Perhaps you could start by calling NHS Direct on 0845 4647 to find out if this support is available before making a doctor's appointment?

You will of course be able to get it privately but it won't be cheap whereas the NHS would be free.

EDIT: I found this page which may help too http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/depression/therapyonthenhs_000478.htm

#2 Paul_UK, Nov 30, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  3. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Bleh too pricey thx for the site neway Paul :]

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

NHS is free... :confused: :thumbsup:

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yeh but... if its free then it means they're not as good as private ones

6. ColdSnap

no it doesn't :S anyway in my uni we have student counsellors, to see a counsellor you fill in a form, and if they think therapy will help you then they get you an appointment, they are very similar to therapists, a space to talk about how you feel in safety, i've had 4 sessions and have been able to talk about the stuff i didn't want to regarding my sexuality and other things, and it has been amazingly helpful, I feel like i'm making real progress, and i am starting to feel happy and accepting of myself as a person which i haven't in a long time.

It's easy to put on an easy going, funny, social front, but it's nice to be able to sort your self out at a base level :slight_smile:

so i'd recommend you have a look around uni (if you go) or maybe try finding a private area where you can call the samaritans, i mean ideally you need structure, and someone you can talk to who'll recognize the situation next time you see them, continually, because a lot work needs to be done but they are a good substitute for getting stuff off your chest. But yeah if you go see a doctor aswell and they believe you would benefit from therapy then it will be free :S

already i'm basically going to come out to one of my friends in a few weeks when i go visit them which i never would have even dreamt of doing a few weeks back.

ideally you need a friend you can talk to, but friends can often be judgmental and when you are feeling vulnerable you might not be as open. My therapist has offered me that opportunity and i am so grateful :slight_smile:

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Hmm uni.. I won't be going.. >_> and friends.. not much of them ^_^ . I'll have to think hm..

8. Ben

Ben

The NHS have some of the best doctors. It's free for you, paid by everyone's taxes.
    The free health care system here is really one of the best things we have going on. No, they're not as good as private ones usually. But if you don't want to fork out a fortune they're your only option.

9. Bryan

I am in the US, so I cant comment on the quality of the free therapists in the UK, but my guess is that they are pretty good, because they are doing it because they want to, not to make money.

I started seeing a therapist last week. It is already helping. They can help put all of your issues in to perspective, so you can deal with them a lot easier. Make sure that you can find one who you are comfortable working with.

I am a peer counselor, so I deal with a lot of cases like yours. You may also want to find someone like me to help you. Dont hesitate to ask me any questions about seeing a therapist. :slight_smile:

Bryan

10. Jim1454

I bet actually having an appointment with free therapist is better than having no appointment with an expensive one.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

12. whitefang

I would have no idea but I need one