1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If these are the syptoms, what's the problem?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by myra, Dec 1, 2008.

1. myra

To cut to the chase, I've got a supsician i may be pregnant. I'm planning on taking a test tomorrow. What is worrying me is two things. I've got severe abdominal pains. They have been lasting about a week now and started out really dull. Now they are a sharp, stabbing pain in the lower left of my abdomen. Any ideas what this could be?

If i am pregnant, I believe the pain may be because its an ectopic pregnancy. I also am wondering if it could be a miscarriage, because I have a negative blood, and without shots, its likely my body will reject the child's blood type and kill it. But the only syptom of those i'm exhibiting is the pain, not any bleeding.

If I am not pregnant, I don't know what is causing this pain. My syptoms are:

1) Late period
    2) nausea in late eveings and when I wake up
    3) lower abdominal pain (dull to stabbing)
    4) swollen gums
    5) sore hips

Any input to what this could be would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I plan on taking a pregnancy test tomorrow. Then calling either the family doctor or the OB/GYN depending on the results of it.

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A couple of those symptoms sounds like pregnancy but of course I'm no doctor. I would definitely get that checked out to be sure. Hope everything is ok. :slight_smile:

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Could be appendicitis!
    Also, the sore gums could be due to hormonal imbalances (my gums bleed like crazy when I'm on the pill).

As for the negative blood thing, that really only applies when you have been pregnant before and during the birthing process. Your blood (along with antibodies) do not mix with that of the fetus until you are giving birth.

That's all I got. I hope everything works out fine. And please be sure to use protection.

4. Gumtree

Could well be pregnany but there's many other possibilities, it could well be septicemia, appendicitis (so can't spell that), anaemia etc.

All i can say is drink water and see a doctor. No matter what it is water is very important - double your intake immediately.

5. MedGuy211

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Bearing in mind that I'm not a doctor yet (still got 2 more years): Some of your symptoms sound like pregnancy, but there are also a lot of other things it could be.

I would definately get it checked out, and sooner rather than later. Sharp stabbing abdominal pain is never a good thing. It can be a sign of significant problems and should be checked out as soon as possible.

Ectopic pregnancy could fit, but again there's no way to know without more info/tests and there are other possibilities that are more likely. I don't want to scare you, but ectopic pregnancy is considered a medical emergency. So if you really think that's what it is, then that's all the more reason to go see a doctor.

A negative blood type will not lead to rejection of the first fetus. Only subsequent pregnancies are at risk for rejection. It is the first pregnancy that sensitizes the mothers immune system following exposure to the fetus's blood during birth. This leads to the production of antibodies against the fetus's blood groups which is what can lead to subsequent miscarriage.

I hope you feel better. and definitely see a doctor ok.

6. KaraBulut

MedGuy11 is correct. Whether or not your pregnancy test is positive, you should see a doctor. Abdominal pains in the lower areas of the abdomen are cause for seeing a doctor.

Interesting that you knew about the need for Rhogam during your pregnancy. Did you have a previous pregnancy?

7. myra

I've never been pregnant before. I knew that from my forensics class. Our teacher in high school was talking about blood typing and told us about what the positive and negative means, as well as that "women with negative blood, need to have shots during pregnancy because the body will reject the baby's blood."

8. KaraBulut

The problem occurs when the mother is Rh(D) positive but the father is Rh(D) positive. If the baby inherits the father's Rh+ genes, then the mother develops antibodies to the baby's blood during the first pregnancy. This can cause problems during subsequent pregnancies when the babies are also Rh+. So, you would not have a problem if this is your first pregnancy nor would you have a problem unless the baby's father were Rh+.

The complications exist for both the baby and the mother. RhoGam is given during pregnancy and at childbirth to prevent the mother from developing antibodies.

I digress. Please let us know what your results are and what the doctor says about your symptoms.

9. myra

The only reason I have held off on going to a doctor is because i was waiting on the results of the test. If positive, i was going to head to the OB/GYN. If negative, the family doctor. I should be taking the test in about an hour. Still have to find a way to get into town to get one. I will let you all know the results after I take it. And after a the guy who is waiting to hear if he's a father or not.

10. myra

the results were positive. :frowning2: i am pregnant. i have an appointment set up at the ob/gyn tomorrow at three with the doctor who actually delivered me.

11. silentsound

Well, although it doesn't sound exactly planned, congratulations still!

12. myra

This was certainly not planned, but thank you silentsound. We have decided (the father and I), after much dicussion, that there is no way we can keep this baby. While I do not like the sound of abortion, its the road I need to take in order to ensure my education. I cannot lose the scholarships that I have. We are freshmen in college. He is going with me to my appointment tomorrow and has offered to pay the entire cost of the abortion if need be. I am, sadly, kinda hoping that it is an ectopic pregnancy and will have to go to the E.R. after my appointment to get it removed, that way I don't have to go through with an abortion. But there is no way I could carry the child for 9 months and continue going to school and getting the best education that I can.

For those of you who are against abortion, please don't chew me out for this choice that I am making. I don't like the idea, but I'm going with what I think is best for me and the child. I feel that its life is going to be put on hold and will have another chance when I'm ready to have a child or maybe enter into another embryo of someone else's at that time of conception.

What I really need right now is some emotional support. I am not getting it from my parents and I am not in a relationship with the father. We broke up roughly two weeks ago when he no longer felt that that he loved me. We were together nearly two years and are still friends. He is being very sweet about this whole thing and is, like I said, willing to take me to all my appointments and drive me to the clinic. While he's supporting me, it is not the support that I really need. I need to feel loved and to be assured that I am making the right decision. i need to be held and put back together. He's the one who used to do that for me. But since the relationship is over, it wouldn't really be appropriate for him to do that anymore. Though he did say I could have a hug tomorrow.

Anyway, I suppose that is the update. I am pregant. And if it is not ectopic, an abortion :frowning2: is the only option i really have if I'm to stay in school and keep my scholarships.

13. revolutionrock

You are doing what is best for yourself, and that is the most important thing.

Whether it counts or not, I support your decision 100%. :slight_smile:

And I think it important to keep in mind that no matter what people tell you, it is your decision to make.

I wish you all the best!

14. s5m1

Myra, I am so sorry that you are going through this right now. I know it is not easy for you. Your decision sounds like it is the right one for you. It is a very individual choice, and you should not worry about what anyone else may think. Hang in there, take it day by day and know that this difficult period will end soon. I have known quite a few women who have had abortions and all of them came through it just fine. I am sure you will too.

15. starfish

I'm not sure what to say, so I'll just say this.

(&&&)

16. buriedinhw7

I hope everything goes well for you! I am behind you!

17. KaraBulut

I suspected that your test would come back positive based upon your symptoms. It's good that you've gotten a doctor's appointment this quickly. He will probably send you for an ultrasound, so hopefully you'll have an answer in the next day or so about whether you have an ectopic pregnancy.

18. Jim1454

Hi Myra.

I'm really very sorry to hear about your situation. I understand how this is something that can leave you feeling very isolated and alone. I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to share it with us so that you could get some support here.

I personally believe in a woman's right to choose.

I think if I were in your situation, I would do exactly the same thing.

I'm glad that your ex is being supportive. I'm not surprised, as you always spoke of him as being a really nice guy. It's a shame that your relationship had to include this kind of situation, but as time passes the present enormity of the situation will diminish.

PM me if you want to chat any time, ok? (*hug*)

19. pirateninja

I'm sorry to hear about the situation, but I'm glad to hear that your ex is at least trying to help you. I think that your decision is right for you, as I too believe in the woman's right to choose and it sounds like you have thought this through thoroughly.

Good luck. (*hug*)

20. Time

Wow.
    I can't even fathom what you must be feeling right now.
    I don't know you, but I support your decision as well.
    Good luck.