1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have tonsillitis

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jax12, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be seeing a doctor very shortly to make sure, but reason for me to believe so is when I am swallowing, there is little to no pain in my throat. Rather, the pain is higher up.

I've looked at the symptoms, and I didn't have a fever for the pass couple of days (which is when I started experiencing the pain). I thought this would be a typical sore throat but it's lasting a little longer than it should. I was quite stressed out for eh past couple of days as well.

I know this isn't the place to get diagnosed, but has anyone here experienced tonsillitis?

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just recovered from it a month ago. Felt like I swallowed a handful of nails. It started as a typical sore throat that kept coming and going over a six week period. I thought it was the onset of hay fever and started taking allergy medicine. But then the sore throat came back and started to get worse, and 48 hours later the pain was massive, I had a fever and my lymph nodes became swollen.

Went to the doctor, whom prescribed antibiotics and within 48 hours the pain had subsided substantially. Took another ten days before the pain was completely gone.

3. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had tonsillitis frequently, and actually got my tonsils removed late last year.

For me, it hurt when I swallowed, kinda a burning pain, or similar to the pain you feel when you poke an infected cut. A tell tale sign of tonsillitis is white/yellowish spots on your tonsils, which will also be inflamed. Your lymph nodes on your neck may also swell and be painful to touch. You can feel these at the top of your neck, below your jaw. When healthy, you shouldn't be able to feel them.

I don't think I always had a fever with mine, but when I did, they were quite low fevers. If it is tonsillitis, you'll definitely need antibiotics. That should reduce the pain within a few days, and clear it up in around two weeks. In the meantime.. I found cold foods helped with the pain, and soft and mushy was the easiest to eat when it hurt :slight_smile:

If its not tonsillitis, it could be strep throat, which I think is treated with antibiotics too, or just a general sore throat from a cold or something.

Hope that helps, and I hope the doctor helps too :slight_smile:

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys, at the moment I'm not getting the burning pain you guys describe, although that could very well happen soon.