1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to permanently get rid of periods?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by LesbianThrasher, Jun 6, 2015.

1. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm wondering if there is any procedure to get rid of it when there is no health risk like cancer in the uterus or anything like that. Is it possible for the doctor to do this or do you need a cause only to have it done?

2. kaotyc

The only thing I know of is the shot. You get it, I THINK, every 3 months and you don't get your period. But the side-effects are that when you don't get your period, your body goes through menopause.

3. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Okay I've been on the depo shot for two years, which is what the previous poster is commenting about I believe.

I have not had a period in two years, it takes it away completely.

It's also the only option that I know of that stops periods. It's a birth control device.

However, the shot can be seriously dangerous to your health if you're on it too long. It can cause menopause to come early, and it puts you at high risk for osteoporosis. It also can prevent you from ever having children in the future.

So although It's the best option to use to prevent pregnancy and menstruation, you also have to decide whether or not the risks are worth it. I personally only recommend it in case of emergencies (which was my case for needing to be on it), but if It's not an emergency, you should only use it for two years or less (however your periods will come back at that point).

#3 Fallingdown7, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2015
  4. kaotyc

That was what I was talking about. I've always heard it referred to as The Shot. Like how birth control pills are referred to as The Pill.

5. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've wanted to get rid of my periods permanently too somehow and yeah, unless you get the shot (not healthy long term) or you get your reproductive organs removed (you would completely fuck your hormones up, go into menopause and have no sex drive), you cannot get rid of your periods.

Anyways, I have found out periods are no that bad since I have been on thyroid medication my periods have been a lot lighter. I had had very heavy periods for 8 years and did not know it was because I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism. Then I discovered tampons as well which makes life so much easier as well. So now periods aren't a problem at all for me.

Do you have serious issues with your period that you want to get rid of it, like really bad cramps or is it really heavy or something?

6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've heard about a procedure where they burn the lining of the uterus and that supposedly stops menstruation but I don't recommend it. if you're having issues with your periods then I'd suggest talking to your doctor.

7. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wouldn't really consider it as "serious" but I just can't stand the cramps and nausea that comes with it. Often times the cramps are so bad that I can't get out of bed and I get all hysterical and feel if I make a single move the pain gets stronger.

8. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You could try the pill. It can even out your emotions. As for cramps, I recommend painkillers and a heating pad.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Seconded. The pill will not take away your periods, but they will regulate them and make them lighter. I tried it before I needed to switch to the shot, and I didn't have any issues with physical pain.

10. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know if I can do the pill. I'm not very good when it comes to taking pills orally so there's that.

11. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    Seconded (or thirded?) on suggesting you go to your doctor. If the cramps are that bad then it sounds like there might be an underlying cause that you should know about and could be treated/managed. Only your doctor can say for sure.

12. Maeve

I use the NuvaRing, and I don't get a period any more. It's a hormone-releasing ring that's inserted into the vagina and kept there for up to four weeks. I still had some bleeding during the first six months, but it was light and I had no cramping or nausea.

And yes, you do need to see your doctor. Severe cramps can indicate a more serious issue. You'd need to see one for a prescription anyway.

13. Really

I would try something first like regular exercise. The years I rode my bike to classes my periods were bang on regular, cramp and nausea free. And it was only a 3k ride each way, 5 days a week so nothing major.
    You could do walking or jogging. Pick something that you could do regularly.

14. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Also eating really healthy is good for regulation too.

15. Beebop

Beebop Guest

Cramps that are so severe they leave you bed ridden are not normal. Like others, I would recommend you see a GYN to discuss your symptoms. Endometriosis is a condition that can cause this type of pain. It can be very difficult to diagnose and requires surgery (laporoscopy) to be certain a woman has it. If you choose to look into this possibility, make sure you see a doctor who specializes in it's diagnosis and treatment because many doctors don't have a clue about this condition.

Another option to stop periods is to take birth control pills continuously, with no break. There tends to be issues with break through bleeding when they are taken in this manner, but it doesn't carry the same serious health risks as the shots others have mentioned, and there isn't a limit on the duration you can be treated in this manner, unlike the shots.

16. Hiems

Whether or not you have a period on the pill depends on whether it has a placebo week or not. For the ones that don't have a placebo week, e.g. Lybrel (discontinued, and now sold under the name Amethyst), that week is replaced with pills containing the hormones, to maintain the contraceptive effect. Consequently, most likely, amenorrhea is maintained.

I haven't seen Amethyst sold in my pharmacy. Maybe under its generic name, it's been sold. Most of the time, people use the ones with placebo week, e.g. Minastrin, Larin Fe, Ortho Tri Cyclen.

Regardless of the brand name's rarity, I would still bring it up with your doctor. Or you can try the Depo shot, as suggested before.

17. kaotyc

I would say Depo Shot.

I know the feeling. I have such severe cramps I've gotten physically sick to the point of puking or fainting. The first 2 days are unbearable for me. So I understand.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Remember though that the OP wants something with low health risks. The shot is dangerous and irreversible.

If you don't want to put your health at risk or use pills, I think the best option is a heating pad as brought up before. It's really relieving.

19. Maeve

I think it's preferable to try a lower-risk, more easily reversible type of hormonal contraception first. The pill, the patch, and the ring can all be used continuously to prevent periods. The shot, the implant and the mirena IUD are also great options, but they're more permanent.

There is no medical reason to have a period. If you don't want to have a cycle, then you don't need to. Do a little research and talk to your doctor!

Your symptoms could be endometriosis (not a doctor, so go see one), and the treatment is typically...hormonal contraception. It prevents the lining of the uterus (endometrium) from forming at all, which means there won't be more scar tissue.

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only way I know of is to have a hysterectomy.