1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor says I don't need hep a vaccine?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by CanadianRunner, Jun 10, 2015.

1. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just came out to my doctor at my check up today and wanted to get the ideal protection before I become sexually active.
    I had researched the vaccines I should get to protect myself. The ones recommended on the health department website for msm are:
    1. hep a
    2. hep b
    3. hpv
    I already got hep b vaccine in grade 7 (everyone in grade 7 where I live gets it), so the 2 I was missing are hpv and hep a.
    She encouraged getting the HPV vaccine, so I have started that, but she told me I didn't need to get the hep a vaccine? She said it is mainly for traveling to areas of high risk and areas with higher risk of food contamination. I didn't really challenge her on it. I just accepted and moved on with the other matters.
    After my appointment, I looked again and noticed on the health department website where I live that hep a vaccine is recommended for MSM.
    Is she wrong or right? Should I be getting the hep a vaccine as well or is she right that it really isn't necessary? If necessary, should I call the doctor's office and try requesting it again? (it is covered in my province)

2. smurf

Yeah, Hep A is suggested for MSM. Its not a vaccine that is risky to get and it will prevent you from being unlucky and getting it.

Are you out to your doctor? Either she might assume you are straight and thats why she suggests it or she isn't even aware that its recommended for MSM population.

Either way, you are able to request it without having to argue with her. You can tell her that you appreciate her advice, but would like to get it either way.

I would also suggest getting a doctor that is LGBT friendly and educated. Your doctor cannot do their best job unless you are giving them all the facts to work with. Might not be possible now, but def consider it later on.

Way to go for taking care of your health :slight_smile:

3. TJ

TJ

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hep A isn't a vaccine that is regularly required for the general public, so it's understandable that they wouldn't recommend it. However, I would suggest getting it if it's recommended for you.
    I've gotten the vaccine because of my profession, so it's definitely not crazy to want to get it.

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I lived in Mexico in 1972, I contracted Hep A (this, along with a nice case of typhoid fever). There are vaccines for both of these conditions today, and if Hep A vaccine is recommended for msm, then request it.

Trust me, you don't want to experience Hep A, it isn't fatal (usually) but it is a nasty and debilitating disease...

5. CanadianRunner

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks everyone for the tips.
    I will give them a call. They may be annoyed, but it is my health and I would rather be on the safe side.