1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How often should I have my privates examined by a doctor?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MouseKeeper, Jun 16, 2015.

1. MouseKeeper

I have actually attempted to look it up, and all I get are results for women and gynecologists. I may have a feminine side that shows during my good moods, and I may go for a feminine appearance often, but I'm a dude. So, it doesn't really help much.

So, I've been neglecting that part of me when seeing the doctor. Mainly because it just seems a bit awkward when it happens, and a history of sexual harassment results in feeling a little self conscious about it. So, I tend to avoid it. But I don't know if that's healthy.

How often should I go in for an exam of my privates? Thanks.

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first step in this is telling your doctor that you are gay or that you have sex with men, if you are sexually active (if you aren't sexually active yet none of this will matter until you are). That changes how your check ups for sexual health will go. As a MSM (if you are one. If not, I'm sorry for the misinformation), you are probably going to have to have your throat swabbed, and your sexual organs swabbed, including your buttocks. You'll probably want to do this twice a year, but depending on how sexually active you are or are if you're with one partner or more, you may want to have it more or less. This, along with blood tests, is usually what most gay men or MSMs go through in a sexual health checkup.

I hope this helped you out!

3. smurf

Not sure what type of procedure you usually have done, but this isn't the norm for most people.

If you are talking about regular checkups, then once or twice a year is more than fine. For people with a penis, a self check every so often is enough and doesn't require a doctor. So check your balls for lumps and how the skin looks. If you find anything abnormal, then you can go to the doctor.

The reason why people with vaginas have to do it more regularly is because its harder to do a self-exam and there are A LOT more things going on with the vagina than with a penis.

Your butt usually doesn't need a checkup unless something is bothering you.

Now, if you are talking about STI's, a yearly all inclusive test should be enough. If you are having sex with multiple partners, then every 6 months should work.

But yeah, for the most part you don't really need to go to the doctor for the penis alone.