1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I might have diabetes...help?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MindvsHeart, Jun 19, 2015.

1. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Wellll..here's the thing. A little over a year ago, I learned that I was insulin resistant and was given medication to take...but recently, I guess the medication hasn't really been working and I've been showing signs that I have diabetes. My mom is urging me to go to the doctor's tomorrow to check.
    :help:
    :help:
    So, my questions would have to be - what should I expect while at the doctor's? What are ways to cope if I do have diabetes? (I know that there are two types and...yeah. I'm still learning :eusa_doh:slight_smile: Tips from anyone who is diabetic?

Thanks in advance! (*hug*)

2. ThatFrostyGuy

Type 1 usually manifests around teenage years, and is caused by the body not producing insulin. However, as you said you were insulin resistant that sounds like type 2, which is when the body cells resist the insulin. Although as you're not middle aged or overweight type 2 would be unusual, though not impossible.

In either case definitely go to the doctor, diabetes can and does kill.

My friend is type 1 and we never really notice, he just has to take insulin tablets and monitor his blood sugar level. I think he pees on something, I've never asked.

Having diabetes is unfortunate and means you would have to cut down on sugar, but it's perfectly manageable.

3. edogs334

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    After talking with you about your health history (particularly the signs and symptoms you've been having), I'd expect the doctor to perform a physical exam- not unlike one you get at an annual checkup. This is to check for any obvious (or not so obvious) physical abnormalities that may correspond to the symptoms you've been having. He/she also needs to rule out other possible diagnoses that may have signs/symptoms similar to the ones you're experiencing. Also, his/her staff will most likely draw blood from your vein- with a small needle- to run several tests; I'm certain they'll also have you submit a urine sample, as well. There are several blood tests that they can run to assist in diagnosing someone with diabetes- such as Hemoglobin A1C (basically, how many of your red blood cells have sugar sticking to them) and a blood glucose level. If your finger-stick blood glucose level was particularly high, they usually draw blood from your vein- which will give them a more accurate glucose level. They will most likely test your urine for the presence of glucose as well.

I know (from personal experience) that it's quite easy to worry about what the doctor could say or what they could diagnose you with. This is normal. Just know: 1)take it one step at a time- you don't know what they'll say until they say it; and 2)Like ThatFrostGuy said- if you do, in fact, have diabetes, then it's definitely a manageable condition. Whatever happens at the doctor's office- you can definitely go on to live the rest of your life.

It looks like you live in Australia. Here's some info from Diabetes Australia that may be helpful in understanding the condition:

What is Diabetes? - Diabetes Australia

4. Hiems

Usually people with type 2 diabetes (hallmark being insulin resistance) remain asymptomatic, but once it becomes uncontrolled, they present with polydipsia (excessive thirst), polyphagia (excessive appetite), and/or polyuria (excessive urination, likely secondary to polydipsia). If you have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, given medication, and despite this, present with symptoms, then yeah, I would go to the doctor to get it checked out.

They might do certain tests on you:
    - Fasting plasma glucose is just taking a blood sample after having fasted (water is okay to consume) and measuring your plasma glucose.
    - Another test is oral glucose tolerance test, where you're given a sweet mixture to drink, and 2 hours later, your glucose level is taken. This is not a preferred method because most people probably won't be willing to wait 2 hours.
    - They may also check your blood for hemoglobin A1C, which is related to your glucose levels, because glucose can bind to the hemoglobin on your red blood cells. It estimates your glucose in the past 2-3 months.

A lot of counseling goes into counseling diabetic patients, and the information I gave you only scratches the surface of what you need to know. Your physician should be able to help you on counseling for the medications, diet, etc. Good luck and take it easy.

5. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It can be severely debilitating, but it's well manageable with therapy and lifestyle changes. Since you're living in Australia you should be fine :slight_smile:. Recently there have been excellent results in research aimed at controlling your insulin level all the time, instead of you taking it yourself at certain times of the day, which removes insulin spikes, and thus eliminates most of the severe problems like kidney failure associated with diabetes.

So, yeah, don't panic, but you should not take the matters lightly. If you don't follow your doctor's recommendations very closely you might end up on dialysis or impotent. Also read up on the latest research, i.e., read the wikipedia page on it.

6. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Hey, thanks everyone for your advice/kind words. The visit went well and after a good talk, my doctor is confident that I have type 2. However I'll be getting the results back in two days so we'll know for sure then.

I just wanted to thank you all for putting me at ease before my visit - your words truly helped me out. :slight_smile:

7. aussielefty

I have type 2 , and have cut down on most of the sugar stuff
    but I do treat my self once in a while, just have to remember to take
    my meds etc... good luck

8. tgboymom

Type I I here.. began with insulin resistance

First things first. You'll need a fasting a1c test. It's just a blood draw done in the morning after having fasted through the night. Please drink water. You don't want to be dehydrated when you do your draw. Then you will get a number when the results come back. Please know your number. It'll be like 6.2, 7.4 ...something. my last one was 7.6, the one before that was 8.2 so I got it down. Please know that years ago I was over 10, prescribed insulin and still had no control. Insulin injections really put weight on me so I did my research, quit the insulin, the weight fell off and I changed my eating habits to low to no carb and added exercise. Some of us are exercise sensitive. I've been off insulin for 7 years. Your body loves proteins and fats and your liver has the wonderful ability to turn those into glucose for your brain! :slight_smile:

I say you should know your number because it's relevant information for eye check ups. If you are a type II, you'll also want a reliable meter so you can keep an eye on your blood sugar number. Normal non diabetic may be 70 to 90. Controlled type II might be 80 to 110 unless you're spiking on potatoes or bread or soda or something. Many people take the meds and they don't think about it. Please think about it and consider it when you make choices. Diabetes does a lot of damage you do not see until it can't be fixed. The pain in your feet and legs from peripheral neuropathy cannot be repaired.. trust me on this. But you have the POWER to control how far it goes.

If you come up still in the resistance stage, make some changes. Make changes if you come up diabetic and it will be a non issue if you tweak your habits as needed and show up for your regular blood studies.

Educate yourself! Don't completely depend on the diabetic educator to whom you are sent. Yes they give good info, but everyone reacts differently. Ie: I am exercise sensitive... some people are not. I used to check my sugar before, during and after a good workout... cardiovascular and weight training. Diabetes doesn't mean "incapable, weak, ill" or any other word with negative connotations. To me, it just gives me a friendly reminder to do the things I should be doing anyway like avoiding sugars and flour, eat dark greens and lean meat and healthy fats.

I have come to believe that our cultures have brought this on. Humans are hunter/gatherers... not bread baking, soda drinking, potato farmers. LOL. Hunter/gatherers.. meat, nuts, berries! Delish! As you get into it, you'll find recipes and shortcuts for what might feel evil, but isn't. One of our favs for a sugar like fix is a cheesecake pudding made with heavy cream, half and half, cream cheese and sugar free pudding. Lots of calories but completely doable if we don't overdo it.

Just don't be afraid and take care of it like you do your hair and skin and cleanliness and so forth and you won't notice it. You have a strong, happy and healthy life ahead.

Take care of yourself, visit your doctor and do your blood studies as recommended and most importantly. .. EDUCATE YOURSELF. You were bright and responsible enough to ask for information here... don't let this be your last stop. Atkins books have wonderful information about how insulin works and how to control malfunctioning beta cells. :slight_smile:

God bless!