1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not eating when stressed

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hidden Angel, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

When I get stressed out and upset I don't feel hungry, I can't eat and if I do it makes me feel sick, sometimes I can go days with out eating much, maybe only a few sandwiches.
    I know this can't be very healthy but I feel so shitty if I make myself eat, I don't know what to do.

2. thespanishheart

I don't eat when I'm pissed off or depressed either.

I honestly just go to sleep. I never get enough of it, so it's not harming anyone (and won't make me fat!)

I don't eat a whole lot. I never eat breakfast, I eat a small meal for lunch, and a decent dinner. I'm about 135 lbs and 5'9 which is about the minimum I should be for my age. I gotta exercise more :frowning2:

3. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

If you eat nothing else, eat breakfast.
    I could go on and on about the benefits of breakfast. I mean, it's the most delicious meal of the day!

But seriously, if you eat when you wake up, it should help solve that feeling of sickness. You may be falling into hypoglycemia (like me) without realizing it. Drink juices or milk if you really feel that you can't eat.

And hold on, kiddo. Whatever is stressing you out is bound to resolve itself soon enough.

4. Derek the Wolf

I don't eat when I'm nervous or stressed out. Same kinda thing. Keep an eye on your weight, and be aware of it. Otherwise, I don't recommend forcing yourself to eat.

5. I'm the same way. Like when I was studying for finals I was lucky if I ate once a day. It's not that I was starving myself, I was so preoccupied with the stress that I just didn't have time or forgot.

6. Greggers

You guys are SO lucky...

I eat my feeling, i eat them all up. Every day i eat more and more and more. Then i get depressed i eat so much and i wont eat at all for a day. Its a nasty circle that i cant get to stop. It seems to get worse now too. I know eating alot one day then nothing the next is bad for you, but i get these horrid mood swings. I cant take meds for it cause i need to see a doctor and the doctor will ask me why and i cant say the real reasons...

7. starfish

I do that also. I never quite figured it out but when I am stressed I will either not eat or I'll go to the other extreme and binge eat.

So while i don't have any advice I can say (*hug*).

8. Nixon

wishI was that way

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm personally I gorge when I'm stressed, so I wish I had your control lol. Though I agree with Numfarh, I realize it makes you feel sick but in that case take a stomach relief (like Pepto Bismal :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) because breakfast is the most important meal, and without it your brain can't function properly.

10. ColdSnap

doesn't this happen to everyone?? 0_o

11. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

Nope. I tend to eat more when I'm stressed.

12. Starshine16

I do the same thing.I eat way more when I am stressed out.

13. HalfInsane

I sometimes end up wanting to eat more if I'm really stressed, or sometimes nothing at all. In either case, I force myself to eat a normal amount anyways (although occasionally I give in and eat a bit too much ice cream... *cough*).

But I do occasionally get so bad I can't eat without feeling sick... so I know what you're talking about. I'll still try and make myself snack on things like soda crackers, grapes, etc in those cases though... even if it's difficult. Just as much as I can manage. But I'd be more concerned about dealing with what's stressing you out than with trying to eat more. Try and resolve the problem, not the symptoms, right?

14. Jace

Ahhh this happens to me too

When I'm stressed I just don't eat
    I don't care, I just want to go to sleep and make everything go away

Last week I barely ate

I'm soo stressed right now, cause its the end of the semester and I'm failing two classes and like four of my teachers decided to give me projects that were all due last week and I was soo focused on those that I forgot all my other homework, so my spanish grade went from a B to an F and ....

Ugh
    I'm going to bed
    X(

15. KaraBulut

This is a normal response. As long as you are eating small amounts of food, you are drinking a reasonable amount of fluid and this does not go on more than a few days, it will not be harmful.

As far as what to do-
    The problem is not your inability to eat or feeling sick, the problem is the way that you're internalizing stress. What kinds of things are stressing you out?

16. Shaylyn

Same thing happens for me, always has.

If I haven't eaten anything in a while but I know I need the energy for hockey or lacrosse or something, I'll try and drink a protein shake. It goes down a lot easier and gives me the calories I need to make it through the game.

Raspberry banana shake with vanilla protein mix...ah, sooo good.

17. TheRoof

lol me too. i tend to eat more when i'm depressed-especially sweets like cakes, cookies, pies, ice creams...etc

18. Ty

Ty

I only ever eat when I'm bored, but luckily I find ways to keep myself entertained so I don't eat that much. Becoming vegetarian also helped because it's removed a lot of rubbish food that contributes to ill health and obsesity :slight_smile: I've lost like 10 pounds in a few months.

19. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

When I'm stressed I eat alot, its why I'm the weight I currently am, hopefully I'll lose some weight over break before coming back to school.

20. randombelle

im always like that when i get stressed. i dont even get hungry! just dont starve yourself on purpose