1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tanning

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by UnderARock, Dec 17, 2008.

1. UnderARock

Out Status:
    Some people
    This weekend I got pretty sunburnt. I wasn't out at the beach trying to tan and I have no immediate plans to get a tan unless I can steal a body of a greek god. I have gotten a little bit curious. Does a sunburn fade into a tan or does sunburn mean that you gone too far? Do you regularly tan? What do you think of tanning in general? Discuss.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm as white as a ghost and have never tanned in my life, and don't intend to. I've had a few sunburns in my time which have faded into a tan, but I don't know if that happens for everyone.

3. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I get burn by fluorescent lights, so the sun is out of bounds for me.

4. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I have very fair skin and usually I'm lathered up in the highest SPF I can find. I have gotten a few pretty bad sunburns in my time (I live in Phoenix, you have to wear sunscreen to go to your mail box). In my experience if the sunburn gets so bad that it peels, usually it won't turn into a tan, but if it isn't so bad it will turn into a tan. But it could all depend on how your skin reacts to the sun.

Anyway, I think that having ghostly pale skin now is fine with me. It means that when I'm old my skin won't be leathery and gross and full of skin cancer.

5. Greggers

Im whiter than wonder bread blended in with bleach and marshmallows:slight_smile:
    Yet i dont tan, ever. I go right from nothing to burn :frowning2: And my burns never turn into tans personally, just nastiness. Never done any spray or artificial tanning either.

6. KaraBulut

A sunburn is exactly what the word implies - it's a burn. Some of the recent research is indicating that a lot of the damage done to the skin and the precursors to skin cancer occur during childhood and teenage years, so you should wear sunblock and avoid the sun when possible.

Whether a sunburn becomes a tan after it heals is dependent upon whether you have fair skin or olive/brown skin. A fair skin person will usually develop a very mild tan or they will freckle. A more olive or brown skinned person will develop a tan.

If you are one of those lucky people who tans easily and you want to have a tan, at least put a strong sunblock on your face. You'll be glad that you did when you hit your forties.

7. daveydaquiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I tan pretty easily, but I burn in some places (back especially) if i am out swimming for any longer than 2 hours on a hot summer day. I find that once I do get sunburnt, the skin peels off and its a bit lighter than the surrounding area... it looks kinda wierd to be honest. =p As for my views on tanning... sun = UV = photoaging + damage to DNA = cancer... so i never intentionally go out to get tanned... but what do i know, im just another paranoid nursing student.

8. RonApple

RonApple Guest

I used to be crispy brown :/ now im white white again, i try to get brown again... but its harder than i thought, and i hate just lieing outside w8ing to get brown.

9. TheRoof

don't tan yourself too much!!!
    make sure u apply sunblock lotion to prevent skin cancer(when ur tanning outside)
    and also artificial tanning(you know, those tanning places where u go into
    this wierd machine and it like tans u...gosh idk how to call those places)
    is detrimental to ur skin.
    if u tan urself a lot, u'll end up getting skin cancer so u better watch out!
    if u really wanna get tanned, u could buy a tanning cream in a store and use that.
    those stuff are free from dangers of getting cancers and stuff.
    hope this helps...

10. summersforecast

It is recomended that you get from at least 10-15 mins in sunlight per day. This is because sun light is necassary to absorb vitamin D. A sunburn is caused from overexposure to ultra-violet rays emmited by the sun. You should always wear sunblock if you plan to go outside for more than fifteen minutes. As for those tanning beds don't get mixed up in that.(skin cancer hello!) Skin cancer is caused when ultra-violet rays mutate the skin cells making them cancerous, so you can still get skin cancer from being outside. When those cells go through a process called mitosis they create more cancerous cells and you can see where that leads to.

just call me boy genious!:thumbsup:

11. thespanishheart

I have an OK tan. Not up to par for a floridian though. Some burns will fade into a tan, but they usually just peel right off. Lather up and then spend some time outside. Save yourself from tanning beds though --- I don't particularly care for them, and you'll have more fun outside anyway.

Needless to say, until I get back on my workout routine, I'm not hitting the beach. Self confidence is about as good as the economy.

12. Gumtree

I tan very easily and take a long time to burn - when I do burn it fades to tan after a night or two.

If you're a person that burns easily then a burn will fade to a light tan after 3-4 days or if its bad, will peel and you will be left with nice fresh WHITE skin :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Most people don't go as far as burning to get a tan, but it is effective. Normally 10-15 mins in direct sun NOT during the mid-day, regularly, is enough to develop a nice tan.

If you're more olive skinned and don't burn easily 20-25 mins will give you a deep tan pretty quick.

13. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i just started tanning lol

14. jazzrawr

I don't tan very well. I can tan a bit, so I'm kinda brownish, but it takes forever - and I get FRECKLES. :|
    Stupid freckles XD
    I get them all over my shoulders and arms and chest in the summer.

15. I get burnt all the time. Only once has it turned into a tan, and that was two or three years ago. I used to hate being pale, but now I like it.

Oh! Last summer I had to put tanning stuff on when I was in The King and I. It didn't work very well, though.

16. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't purposely tan, but since I spend two weeks a summer sailing there's not much I can do, lol. I have only burnt once in my life that I can remember, aside from my part... Because of sailing and soccer I always have a major long short tan (I never wear anything shorter though) and a life jacket tan, that's funny when I wear a tank top... What's even better is that on top of the life jacket tan, I've also got a farmers tan. When I go swimming, it's so funny. My stomach is white, then I've got a line like when you've got your t shirt sleeves rolled up, then a line where they are without being rolled up, it's great, lol. The perils of sailing, lol, I love it though, so fun!

17. Markio

A sunburn means you've gone too far! UV rays can be very bad for your skin, especially if you don't tan particularly well. It is recommended that you avoid direct sunlight or else wear sunscreen between the hours of 10AM and 2PM. SPF 15 at the least.

I know for those of you like me who tan well but had bad acne it can be very tempting to stay in the sun to help hide discoloration, but in the long term that will only damge the skin further and even encourage later breakouts.

18. cm25

cm25 Guest

ya sunburn means tooo far. my skin is weird according to like countless dermatologists haha i can tan all i want and i just get darker. i only wear spf 10 or somethin because my dermatologist said thats all i need to keep from getting sun cancer. i have never had a sunburn so sorry im probably not that helpful but from what ive seen, sunburn just turns to gross peely skin till it gets to your lower layers of skin that, well, arnt tanned haha.

19. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i just go tanning in the beds lol.

20. Mind Freak

I don't go tanning but I like to lay out if it's not too hot; it's relaxing.
    I love sun shine unless I'm like exercising or something.