1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Gays having a Kid

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Larry Myster, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Larry Myster

I was talking to my BF one day to see if its possible to have 2 guys to have a chiled.

He says its possible, me and him will need to produce one sperm and conect them and have a female be the host.

Is this possible? And is it legal?

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    How are you going to connect your "one sperm"? I am totally clueless when it comes to scientific progress but I don't think this is possible. You could both donate sperm and have it inserted into a surrogate mother but only one of you would be the biological father. I have heard of twins being born with two different fathers, that is possible.

3. Mongoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not really - yet! There are a ton of problems, but recently they managed to swap an egg's haploid (half) DNA with male haploid DNA (you know how you have 46 chromosomes? well you get 23 from each parent. 23 is haploid, 46 is diploid). This means that potentially the female egg now has the DNA from a male donor. Because the sperm decides the sex of the child by giving either a Y or an X there is a problem. If you get a male sperm (eg Y), and the DNA in the egg is also male (another Y) you get a YY embryo. Not healthy. most likely you would get an XY, so a boy...

Sorry I'm not too good at explaining... feel free to ask more questions if I have totally balls'd up my answer...

But as I said, very experimental atm...

4. Mongoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As to legality, seeing as it counts as genetic modification, I can't see it getting past any western government for at least 50 years...

5. Matty

It's not possible right now, and it really shouldn't be. Fooling around with the basic make-up of creating human life is a bit much for me.

6. Mongoose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, beckyg's whole twins idea seems a bit better. Less of a chance for some pretty awful mistakes... Plus is it genetics you want or a kid?

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If you are going to use a surrogate, you could always use one of your sperm for first child and the others for the second child. Then you would each have a bioligical child although I really doubt its going to matter to you once you fall in love and are in that situation.

8. Adrian

Adrian Guest

If it's the whole passing on your genes you're worried about rather than actually raising a child, you could always just donate sperm.

9. gemerency

I am in an Advanced Biology class and have come to the hypothesis that by changing the DNA sequencing of stem cell, you can change it into an egg. then all you need is a female to hold and develop the embryo into child. 8B

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There isn't an actual way to combine sperm yet, so unfortunately you won't be able to have a child that is genetically both yours and your boyfriend. However, like said above, twins are possible, as well there is always a chance that you and your boyfriend could have one child that is genetically yours, and one that is his. Just because his child isn't related by blood doesn't mean he isn't yours, he's still your child.

11. tm74

tm74 Guest

adopt? a couple of friends of mine want kids (yes, they're a gay couple) and they say they'd adopt rather than try for a biological approach

12. Ben

Ben

They know of how to do this with eggs for lesbians but not for sperm. So no, it's not possible for two guys to have a child with both of them as fathers. There are other alternatives though that you can look into.

13. KaraBulut

With current technology, one sperm cell must fertilize each egg. This may change as science continues to advance.

A couple that I know came up with a practical solution since they both wanted to father their child. Both men provided sperm samples that were mixed together and introduced into their surrogate. Because their sperm samples were mixed together, they do not know who is the biological father of the child (and they prefer not to know).

14. devushka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I must say that I like this idea best. If I ever have kids, then I think I'd like to adopt. there are already so many kids in the world who need love, and why spend money trying to create my own biological child when I can be a good mom to someone who's already living who needs one?

obviously it's a personal choice, though, so I understand that some people want kids with their own genes.

15. waitingsucks

Japanese scientists managed to fuse 2 mice ova (eggs) to make a zygote (what a baby eventually develops from. But this sort of technology is a long way away from being used on humans, I think the only option now is a surrogate mother, an egg donation and a sperm donation. But this means that only one of you will be the biological father.

16. Tim

Tim

AT the current time, the only thing I'm aware of is 2 woman are able to have a baby together, through a process in which an egg from both women are "hollowed out", and not quite sure how they do it, but they combine the genes, and insert it back into one of the eggs, and then yea, you know the rest. Naturally, as women are XX, they can only have a girl baby, the man is the one who contributes the genes which makes a baby a guy.

Saw it in a science magazine a year or so ago... EDIT: And waitingsucks: No, it was performed on a human specimen as well, and it said in the magazine they had a normal birth :S

At this time, 2 men can't have one, as there's a number of complications, such as we don't have an egg, (naturally), (even getting one from a willing woman doesn't work, as the egg will always retain part of the womans genes), we are XY, so there would be a possibility of YY, which is not an actual person, and a few other things I forget that were mentioned.

You can however, have a surrogate mother, which gets impregnated by one of your sperm. (Not both, obviously)

#16 Tim, Dec 19, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  17. summersforecast

Its called a sergated pregnancy. They take the sperm and egg and the child is concived outside the body. when the embrio is at a certain developement they put it inside a host.(woman) In other words you cant bake a cake without an OVEN!

18. SamAlex728

Well, I heard of a way to choose the sex of your child. Wouldn't you have to weed through all the sperm to choose the ones with certain chromosomes to do that? Then just try to fertilize the egg with those. Well, if that actually works, wouldn't the same concept work to prevent a YY?

19. Tim

Tim

Not Always. Plus, as I said, even when "hollowed out" the egg will ALWAYS retain some genes from the woman, which would make it impossible to have 2 diff sets of genes be inserted.

20. littledinosaurs

They did this to a woman, and she had 1 boy, and then she did it again (cause they saved the other eggs or babies)
    and She had twins, boy and girl.
    But the two boys are Identical twins...born 3 years apart.
    how crazy?