1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

working out to gain muscle and lose body fat

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by starm, Jul 17, 2015.

1. starm

How much should I work out a day? What kind of exercise should I do? I am trying to lose weight, ideal weight is 140 pounds.

2. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess certain excercises work for certain people based on metabolism and body type. For me personally, I've recently started cycling 5 miles everyday. At my current rate I'm losing a little less than two pounds per week. However I'm also trying to avoid carbs like potatoes and pasta. I hope this helps you decide your approach and good luck:thumbsup:

3. starm

I'm now 144 pounds I just checked, it is working.

4. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are trying to go from 144 to 140. I'm inclined to say that you really shouldn't worry too much about 4 vanity pounds.

If you do too much weight lifting odds are that you will probably actually gain weight. Muscle weighs more than fat so building a little muscle will probably weigh more than the couple pounds of fat you hope to lose.

However if you want to ignore the physical weight and burn fat you should pay extra attention to your quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes (your butt and upper legs). These are some of the biggest muscles in the body and big muscles use a lot of energy (fat). For strength training try squats. Use your feet about shoulder width for your quads and slightly wider for your glutes. Leg curls while lying on your stomach are good for your hamstrings. You can do any other muscles you also want to tone but don't target any group more than 2-3 times a week.

As far as cardio goes running and biking 30-45 minutes a day will give your leg and butt muscles plenty of time to burn some fat.

5. aussielefty

I am down to 87 kilograms, just have the belly left, hardly any fat which
    is good for a 45 year old, how can I get rid of the belly ?
    any ideas ??

6. lemons123

Be like my compatriot:

Lazar Angelov Workout And Diet

:slight_smile:

^ this link actually has some pretty good info.

Now more seriously:

Well, first of all decrease your calories. I am currently around 3000/day. Which is I think is perfect for a dude who doesn't want to be too buff but not too slim like model/footballer. For girls 1000/day is kate-uptonish and 500 is like Auschwitz survivor...2000 is for girls who "are at" it. For guys 2000/days is dooble but not best option.

Body fat? Lower than 8% is impossible without chemistry. Ideally you should be 2/3 carbohydrates, 20% +- proteins and 10% fat or low.

About workouts:

Do it every day and lift more heavy weights but less series.

Also: forget pushups or situps if you're really into getting ripped, "aesthetic" etc. Pushups will make you strong but not appealing for...the other guys :kiss:

In my case: I am 27, 180lbs (I am in europe so we use KGs here and its 81 kg but pretty close to 180lbs...). I am also 5.9" or about 180sm.

I am currently training every day (almost) with a goal to reach 190lbs soon and decrease the body fat twice.

7. aussielefty

but how to loose the tummy fat ? not much there now but its still there

8. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm wondering about this too. My belly fat is where I want to target.

9. Bossanova

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Typically, losing belly fat requires losing fat in general. As far as I know, there is no method to losing only belly fat, instead, it'll go along with everything else. Some things that are important though when trying to lose it are: Healthy diet (not to much comfort food ofc), walking, or jogging if you can (slow jogging is actually more exercising than full out running), get the right amount of sleep (should be more than 6 hrs, not to much over 8 hrs. Ideally, 7-7.5), and stress. Exercising in general usually helps with stress, and so does a healthy diet, and so does a good amount of sleep. So losing stress will be a side effect of the other three things. I know I'm not the most knowledgeable about this, so you may want to read up on some reliable sources on more precise info.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

10. starfish

Yeah you can't target fat.

To the OP, what is your height?