1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for the group

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by diablo598, Jul 17, 2015.

1. diablo598

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have been smoking since I was 16 and I am now 52 and I have been wanting to quite smoking the only issue is that my wife smokes and she leaves her smokes laying around and so I end up smoking. I have tried the patch, the meds, the gum, and the all. They help kill the craving but when I smell the smoke and see a cig it goes out the window and I end up smoking.

Any suggestions?

2. Snobird

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Skoal pouches

3. Sevan

It sounds like you're in a situation where no matter what, the temptation is there. Have you tried the vapors? Or E-cigs? It might not get you to quit the habit, but at least it'll be a healthier alternative, and maybe using that you can just ween yourself off of it.

4. smokey-knows-all

Yeah try a vape
    so many yummy flavors too

5. souverian

Yeah, I'd suggest looking into a vaping starter kit (NOT the disposable gas station type). It'll give you a chance to try things out without investing much money into serious mods, etc.

Usually you'll find a pretty wide range of liquids available, and a decent starter kit won't taste terrible either.

Source: looked into vaping out of curiosity at one point, know at least the basics

6. Hiems

Perhaps ask your wife to smoke outside of the house only. Getting rid of the triggers is crucial to avoiding the temptation.

For more help, you can contact 1-800-QUIT-NOW. They have counselors over the phone you can call who can help you initiate the quitting process.

I think there is so much focus on the therapeutic solutions, i.e. meds, gums, patches, and not enough on the psychological solutions, if you will. Talking to someone may help as well, and so I suggest checking that quitline out.

7. challenge wife to try and stop with you. set up a boundaries. if she wants to smoke that's fine but she needs to have a smoking area in the house or outside that she can go to smoke.

its like if you were both morbidly obese and you were trying to have a healthy diet and she kept buying junk food. that's not going to help you. howevever ultimately it's your choice to push the junk food in your mouth and you could buy healthy options even though she eats unhealthy. same with cigarettes. ultimately we can't blame someone else for the fact that we are addicted to something.

the smell is a trigger for your addiction. but that said, you're in vegas and there's smoke everywhere. anything could set you off at anytime but ultimately its your own willpower that will have to be stronger than the environment.