1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't Like My Weight and I'm Freaking Out

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by A Person, Jul 22, 2015.

1. A Person

I don't think I've mentioned this on EC before but here we go.

I don't like my body. Any of it really. My weight is a big part of that. I am 5 foot 11 roughly and weigh 175-180 pounds last time I checked. This is actually the first year since 7th grade I have gained any weight and kept it. I was a flat 150 pounds until this year. I don't really know how it happened, I didn't think I ate more or did any less activity. But I feel it is too much and I do not like how it looks. I'm not looking to get ripped. I just don't like my stomach and thighs and want it be less prominent. I've tried running outside but its miserable for me, being very allergic in the spring/summer and flat footed badly. I've been meaning to use our treadmill at home sometime but I always get stressed out and forget. I have been eating better and cutting out really sugary things mostly, and that helped me lose a little bit so far. I also have been trying to go swimming more often when I can with my family since I like that and its a good workout.

My point is that I feel like I really haven't made much progress and I just....have really big issues with my appearance and confidence and I really don't, at all, like what I see when I look in the mirror. I'm not overweight I guess I'm just not....in shape? Right? Normal? I don't know. But if anyone has/had a similar experience and would like to share...that's what I'm looking for.

Thank you

2. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're still in the normal range. I'm 5'11" and 230(probably 235 now), but I was pretty close to your weight in high school.

Try to get some allergy meds and do some running when it's cooler. Flonase is available over the counter now and workers wonders.

Keep the swimming up and see if you can get into a sport like baseball or basketball even if it is with friends just messing around at the park.

3. carryonthen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that feeling really well. I'm 5'10" or so and about 190lbs, and like anything there are good days and bad days - days where I'm confident enough (and it's hot enough outside) I can go topless in public, and days where all I want to do is curl up under a comforter so nobody can see anything. There's too much pudge in my belly, but that wouldn't be such an issue if my boobs were one cup size bigger. My legs are too thick, and my chins too abundant... I never understood why I never looked like "other girls," or other people, but I'm finally beginning to work on it... I went for jogs often in the springtime, but now it's too hot to walk, never mind run. And while everyone says that 80% of weight loss is adjusting your diet, a number of issues with disordered eating nips that plan in the bud. So I'm at a bit of a standstill, too.
    But rest assured, you are absolutely normal - this is such a normal thing for a person to feel, and know that you're not alone. I guess it just takes motivation, or something... I've yet to find mine, but I hope you find yours soon!

4. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

I kind of went through the same thing, though when I was a little older. Stress can be a factor too. You're going about it the right way with exercise, especially swimming which I think works out more of the body than does walking or running. I hated going out walking (let alone running) just for the sake of exercise, and the treadmill was a torture device. The way I slimmed down again (but definitely not into anything near ripped) was I got really sick---which I would avoid. But it did keep me from eating most of my favorite foods, especially the ones rich in carbs and sugars.

So I'm not sure if it's just the usual calorie intake vs calories burned or something else in your case. I'd suggest finding some exercise you can do regularly and that is rewarding for you and really taking note of what you eat. Your metabolism might have slowed down so now what you used to eat doesn't get burned off as quick as it used to.

Above all take your time, try not to get too frustrated if possible. For your age you've got plenty of time to work with what you've got. Like carryonthen says: you're absolutely normal! As long as you stay healthy you're doing just fine!

5. Celatus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh man I'm on the other side of the spectrum here. I am deeply self conscious about my physical appearance and comparative inadequacy toward other men. I'm 6'1" and an anemic 138 pounds. I basically cannot gain weight and my genetics ensure that my whole body remains twig thin no matter what the hell I do. I barely exercise and I can't gain weight no matter what I eat. I know that sounds great, but believe me it's seriously not. Your body type is predetermined at birth: some people are prone to being naturally larger or smaller than others. The whole health industry loves to completely ignore the idea of body type and make many people struggle toward an uncommon ideal. My genetics make it difficult to gain fat or muscle (not to mention that my body type makes it so that my muscles are very wiry to begin with) and it's made my adolescence rather difficult. Being a scrawny nerd is not exactly helpful for good self esteem or social acceptance. Believe me, I've always hated how goddamn thin I am. I deeply envy people with "perfect" body types. I can totally relate to being unhappy about body type but feeling helpless to change appearance. This is something many younger women seem to experience, so perhaps its a gay thing for me? Whatever it is, I remember feeling physically inadequate ever since I was a child. My self loathing and deep dissatisfaction with my appearance have largely contributed to my experiences with serious depression and anxiety. But please, for the sake of your well being, don't let your perception of your appearance get too critical or negative, you are honestly fairly normal and attractive.

6. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Did something stressful happen to you? I was just thinking it could be what I'd call emotional fat that we keep for a protection.

7. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There are home workout routines, too. I prefer those to things like running and going to gyms.

I'm also thinking there might be a stress factor in this, because it can do a lot of funny things to your body and make things seem a lot more hopeless than they are. Whatever you do, make sure you're actually taking care of yourself in the meantime and not pushing your body to change too fast or beyond what's safe.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    175 pounds at 5'11 really isn't bad at all - most charts I've seen agree that a BMI of around 24-25 is actually one of the healthiest in terms of health risks like heart disease and diabetes. 24 is at the high end of 'ideal weight' and 25 is at the bottom end of 'overweight'.

Either way, how you carry the weight is much more important.