1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to gain weight

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by wolf of fire, Jul 24, 2015.

1. wolf of fire

I'm currently around 3/5 of the weight I should be, does anyone have any advice on how to gain weight. I eat lots and I don't know why I am so light (I'm 17 and haven't grown in the last year)?

2. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I'd say see your Doctor first in case there is a medical reason.

As far as good foods to gain weight: whole milk, whole wheat bread, potatoes, nuts,
    peanut butter, cheese, milk shakes and lots of pasta would be a good way to
    gain some pounds.

3. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

I've got the same problem. A few months ago I was still underweight but since becoming a college student I've eaten so much pasta and bread that I've probably gained 3 or 4Kg. I had this friend in high school who was super skinny, even skinnier than me (182cm/6feet tall and about 64Kg/144pounds) and he decided to start gyming. Now he has a great body. So gyming would probably be the best way to add some healthy mass. I want to start gyming soon as well. I also eat a lot but never gain much. So if you combine the food that Open Arms has suggested, and lots of it, with some weightlifting you should gain some good muscle mass.:thumbsup: Of course you don't have to gym, but it would definitely make gaining mass healthier, otherwise you'll just gain fat.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I totally agree with Open Arms about seeing a doctor just in case there isn't a medical issue causing you to be underweight.

If all that's good you might try bulking up a bit by adding carbs to your diet. Open arms has suggested good items to help with that. Finally, lifting weights to gain muscle mass will help. Make sure you follow a healthy diet and consult with a professional before doing any major changes to your diet/exercise regime.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

#4 justin88, Jul 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try using a calorie calculator to see how many calories you need to gain weight - a lot of people overestimate and underestimate how much they eat, or actually need to eat. They're not exact, but give a rough guide.

6. charlatan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If you're low in vitamin B you might have this kind of problem too. I'd try finding supplements for that.