1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble sleeping

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Erzulie, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Erzulie

I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping for the past few months. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fall asleep? The only way I fall asleep within an hour of going to bed is if i'm thoroughly exhausted from the day or from not having slept a lot in the previous nights. Even then sometimes I have trouble. I don't have trouble staying asleep, it's just falling asleep that is difficult. Many times I'll be right on the edge of falling asleep and then wake up for no reason and be fully awake and not able to get to that state again. HELP!

2. MistyDawn

Out Status:
    A few people
    I have this issue from time to time and when it does happen its a pain in the rear. Usually what helps me is getting the room as dark as i can and having soft sounds like waves or something. It sounds odd but it actually works.

3. Putterpuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dear Erz, i'm sorry to hear this. I was diagnosed with ocd and insomnia 20 years ago, and still have issues with both despite meds and therapy, though its much better these later years. What helps me is to wear earplugs since Im a light sleeper. Also, i move to my couch and that helps a lot. My therapist suggested it years ago, to change my location after 20 minutes of failing to fall asleep and that seems to help a lot... I dont know why as my bed is more comfortable lol. Also, Ive been told the 4 7 8 breathing sleep method helps a lot. Havent had great success with it but it is calming and others like it. You can easily read about it on google. Best wishes and hope you sleep well soon...I can relate! Putter

4. Leifa

I can relate... I've had diagnosed insomnia most of my life... it screws with my life so much I can't look for work in the mornings! Sleeping pills never work....nothing works I've tried so many things :frowning2:

5. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've had trouble sleeping for almost 15 years or so. I tried everything from working out till fully exhausted to going to bed early with all the lights closed. Of course nothing ever worked so I recently went to my doctor.

He told me that my brain wasn't able to "shut off" for the night as I had way too many thoughts going on in my mind. He prescribed me a mild sedative to help me relax in bed and it worked. Been able to sleep for 6 months without any interruptions, I feel much better now!

6. TraceElement

Have your tried melatonin?

7. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    google "sleep hygiene" and you will get a lot of suggestions to improve sleep

8. Erzulie

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

9. AsiaJ33

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I have two suggestions. One, get up early tomorrow. Yes, it might be hard but it'll switch your schedule. You'll be able to fall asleep earlier then get up earlier the next morning. toe, I just learned this last night, count backwards from 1,000. Focus on counting and only counting. It works for me. Also make sure it's dark enough where you are sleeping. Hope this helps! Good luck!

10. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Maybe you should try to get a routine together before bed. For example a hour or two before you go to bed try to do something that relaxes you whether it's watching tv reading a book etc. usually you'll fall asleep better once you're relaxed and your mind is clear

11. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Argh I've had this before! Though I never took them personally sleeping pills could be an option for you!

12. Erzulie

Does anyone know anything about sleeping pills and how they work? I feel like that's my only option. I get up every day around 6:15 or 6:30. On the weekends I usually get up around 8 or 9. I live in the middle of downtown so i can't get complete darkness in my apartment unless I black out my windows, which I really don't want to do. The same goes for sound because I live on the 2nd floor. It's difficult for me to keep a routine before bed because sometimes I get home really late from work and just take a shower and try to sleep, but lately even though I'm exhausted I can't fall asleep. I've noticed that I spend a lot more time in that sort of half sleep state before I'm actually asleep where I am still sort of aware of my surroundings, and certain sounds (not any sound though) or even thoughts can wake me back up again. I've also had these weird like "pre-dreams" that are almost vivid, where I'm like jumping or I get startled and I wake up from that. Sometimes my body physically like jumps where my leg kicks up in the air or my upper body is sitting up a little. This is why I think that might be my only option. A coworker suggested to take benadryl, because she does that when she can't sleep, but I don't want to have to do that every day and I don't know the effects of that besides making you drowsy and being an allergy medicine. (I don't have any allergies so I don't take it anyway)

13. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Please see a proper Physician for this problem. The advice you will get here in EC is not a substitute for the advice of a competent and licensed Physician,

As for your inquiry regarding "Sleeping Pills" you are referring to a broad class of medications. As for your concern that you want a medication that only addresses your sleeping problems, I am sorry to say there isn't such a medication. What I am about to say is through my experience with my Physician.

First Line Medications:
    Antihistamines such as Benadryl. The most potent would be Iterax.

Second Line Medications:
    Benzodiazepines (Anxiolytics) such as Alprozolam, Clonazepam, Diazepam
    WARNING: These are addictive substances. And are prone to abuse.

Third Line Medications:
    Antipsychotics such as Seroquel, Saphris, etc.

Fourth Line Medications:
    Antiepileptics such as Pregabalin

I won't go into the specifics of how each drug works. Basically they bind with the GABA Receptors in your brain (which are inhibitory in nature) which causes you hence to sleep. There is basically a more complicated cascade as to how you fall asleep but I won't go into that.

SOURCE: My own experience with my Physician. I studied in Medical School.

I must stress the importance of seeing your own PHYSICIAN as each individual is different and may react to medications differently. It is important not to self medicate.

14. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could look into remedies on the more natural side rather than sleeping pills. For instance kava extract is a great sleep aid. I used it frequently throughout the school year and it worked perfectly. Although it does take 45 minutes to an hour to work.
    I guess it's just a matter of pros and cons along with personal preference.

15. flyawayfree

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can totally relate to this. Things that help me, going for a walk-getting fresh air before going to bed, and no screen time within at least half an hour of going to bed.

16. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Running during the day or playing a sport helped me with my sleeping problems, you could try that?