1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facial shaving

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by OfTheKokiri, Jul 28, 2015.

1. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello all,

So I have been shaving my face since I was 13 and I think there is some secret I'm missing out on. I find every time i shave my neck area I get very irritated skin afterwards (razor burn?).

Here is my routine:
    1) soak face and neck with wet warm water.

2) apply shaving cream (I use to go through so many different brands/types but I have finally settled on 'Every Man Jack shave cream' for sensitive skin becuase it works the best for me)

3) stretch skin as I lightly press on my face with gillete mach 3 razor that has been rinsed in cold water.

4) I go with the grain and make small soft stokes.

5) rinse face/neck area with cold water and sometimes use after shave balm moisturizer which doesn't make a big difference.

6) get frustrated with results

I don't grow facial hair very quickly and I can kind of get away from shaving everyday. I find the longer I let it grow, the easier and less irriated my skin is when I finally shave.

Any advice would be appreciated (cough... And let me know if I been doing it wrong for years or just have very sensitive skin)

Thanks in advance!

2. robclem21

Have you tried an electric razor?

3. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I have when I was younger, but it didn't seem to do a good job...... hmmm maybe it was too cheap?

Thanks for the suggestion perhaps I will look into a electric razor.

#3 OfTheKokiri, Jul 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  4. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My neck is pretty sensitive too. :dry: If I shave too close, my neck will definitely be red for a few hours. I use an electric razor to do the close parts and an electric trimmer to keep length consistent or try something new. I haven't found the perfect formula yet, but it seems like after I get out of the shower and my skin is drier, that is the best time to shave.

(*hug*)

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might want to wash your face before shaving and increase the temperature of the water, if you can bear it. Hot towels are good! You are right to shave with the grain and use a good sharp razor, but try to rinse the blade in hot, rather than cold water. As well as shaving with the grain, don't go over the same area again and again - if your blade is sharp, it shouldn't be necessary.

6. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

I'm glad I'm not alone! Let us both have luck to be rid of the razor burn. :lol:

For some reason, maybe my father?, I always thought you should rinse the blade in cold water. It might warp the blade??? I mean its a replaceable blade but I thought you would get less uses out of it?

I have no idea but I will try your idea and see how it goes!

Thank you! :icon_bigg

7. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The use of hot water keeps the pores open and helps to soften your skin, so the blade will glide across your face and do all of the work. If you rinse the blade in cold water you are closing the pores and tightening your skin as you shave, so the blade of your razor will effectively be tugging and ripping the hairs out, instead of lifting and cutting. All of this may increase discomfort and irritation.

Shaving after a shower is another good idea, because the steam and heat will open the pores on your face too. Do you shower in the morning before shaving?

Final tip, try using a pre-shave oil or cream to soften your beard, as well as a good quality balm afterwards.

8. molsen7961

I'm a girl but my legs get super irritated if I don't wait for the hair to grow out before shaving. So I'd say wait until you have 1-2 mm hair first, or it's going to tug at your skin and make it irritated. Use hot water first so it opens your pores, and use hair conditioner for a closer shave. Also, if your wash your face afterwards, use baby soap or something extremely moisturizing.