1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Taste?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Tim, Dec 23, 2008.

1. Tim

Tim

Ok, so everything was going alright yesterday. I've been down to 1 meal a day due to budget constrains, and it's actually been beneficial to my weight loss, however, I make sure to get a decent amount of required vitamins/etc when possible.

Well, when going upstairs to brush my teeth yesterday, all was fine. Then about halfway through, I didn't taste the mint anymore. I thought maybe I just got used to it or something. So I shrugged it off. This morning, brushed teeth... same thing.

I thought maybe I just wasn't fully awake. So I'm now downstairs, to test it, I grabbed some juice, and it just tastes slimy and unappealing. For the most part, I can still taste on the left side of my tongue, and occasionally the tip, but the right side just isn't tasting anything. My sense of smell is perfectly fine, however.

Now, the thing that scares me for people who follow along, is that I have Bells Palsy, something that normally goes away in a few weeks, and I'm coming up on 3 years. The right side of my face is paralyzed, and I'm afraid this might be connected to it, as it can't JUST be a coincidence the right side of my mouth isn't tasting anything...

So now I'm scared. Not because of what's happening, but because I don't want to eat. Like, I AM overweight, but I still NEED to eat something, or bad things will happen... but I don't want to taste the slime :S Anyone have any ideas?

2. Pendrin2020

I think you need to start reading up on nutrition. I eat like a horse for 40 bucks a week and I'm 6'2" 165 lbs. Seriously look up healing foods and stuff like that. You could also go vegetarian for almost nothing and lose all kinds of weight. There are an incredible number of recipes that anyone can make really cheap, and still lose weight. Lean cuisine is a marketing thing. Don't believe what you see on TV, they all want you to buy something. Learn to eat simple fruits and veggies and it'll melt off. Trust me. Look at my pics, Am I lying? Did you know that 50% of all cancers are directly related to what we eat? There are ways to eat amazingly well on almost any budget, prepackaged anything is the enemy. I can't really cook, I can boil water and use a frying pan that's it. look up healing foods on google and you'll see.

3. Tim

Tim

So today at the food bank, I was helping move stuff around, etc. And eventually got thirsty, and now I can taste again, then it shut off again near the end, and now it's back... It's starting to get really weird :confused:

4. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did you make an appointment with your family doc? You shouldn`t take any chances and get this checked out just in case.

5. Gumtree

If you can recognise the texture of the juice then i doubt it's linked to the paralyses.

Zinc deficiency is generally what causes most taste bud problems but I have never heard of the symptoms coming on so fast.

There's a few explanations I can think of but I would still suggest seeing your doctor.

1. Burnt your mouth; you could well have burnt your mouth without really noticing - depending how bad you burnt it, it's possible you could lose taste without feeling much pain. .

2. The toothpaste - there's recently been a big recall of toothpaste products exported from china and india due to some really nasty side effects.

3. Some food combinations can do weird things to your taste buds. Peppermint and Orange is one that is just whack, Plain milk after coffee and butter after hot foods are just some examples.

*EDIT*
    Just read your reply; sounds more like a nerve problem if it kind of switchs on and off - I
    don't really know so I wont comment, KB would be able to help more.

Def contact a doctor though.

#5 Gumtree, Dec 23, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  6. KaraBulut

I'm a little puzzled by the description of your symptoms.

Taste disruption is not unusual with Bell's. Bell's affects the facial nerve (CN VII) which not only controls facial expression but also is the primary nerve that is involved in taste perception. If you're able to move your tongue (CN XII) but have impaired taste (CN VII), it is probably another manifestation of your Bell's Palsy.

What is a bit confusing is that it is not unusual for taste perception to be diminished or distorted when you're exposted to a strong taste like mint. So, many people find drinking orange juice to be unpleasant after they have brushed their teeth with a mint toothpaste.

If you feel that this is a change from your normal taste perception, you should contact your neurologist since any change should be discussed with your doctor.

7. Shaylyn

I had Bell's Palsy this summer. The lack of taste on the right side of my tongue was one of the first things I noticed (that and the fact that I couldn't use my straw too well...I had a very wet shirt after that attempt.)

I tried to avoid eating anything that was too sweet or powerful. The blander, the better. Anything with a really strong flavor tasted weird with the altered taste buds. Lots of rice, milk, and celery, thankfully mine only lasted a short time though.

If I may ask, what medications do your doctors have you on for it?

8. Tim

Tim

None. I was informed there was nothing that could be done, as they had no idea what caused it. It can be caused by lots of things, and some things aren't known yet, so no way to treat it... At least that's what they said...

9. Shaylyn

Oh...I'm sorry to hear that. =/

I guess I just got lucky with an easy case of it...