1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weight Questions for young teen

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DreamerBoy17, Aug 1, 2015.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've struggled with my body before. I'm a young teenage girl, and I way around 123 pounds and I'm 5'4. I eat fairly healthy, I love fruits and vegetables, but honestly don't have much opportunity to excercise, although I do like it when I can. I feel like I have some fat in my belly area, and I have large theighs. Is this normal? Please help and be totally honest, I need advice.
    This was supposed to be anon, but oh well...

2. Xander27

That's totally normal! Actually, even if you have a totally flat tummy, you can have what looks like fat rolls when sitting down or slouching. Also, here in the U.S. We're fed ideas about what people should look like, but all the models in the magazines are photoshopped. You're not, I'm not, so that can cause some body image issues. Honestly, 123 at 5'4 might be a tad underweight, but that depends on a lot of factors. While this can be hard, especially for me, I try to focus on speaking with my docter during my checkups about how my overall health is, what my body fat percentage is, and if my weight or body fat is adversely affecting my health. If not, I try not to worry about it. If you're eating healthy, and enough, and not totally sedentary, you should be fine.

(For comparison if it helps, I'm 5'4, 180 lbs, and my body fat is a tad high but not unhealthy, and I actually have a flat tummy, though I do feel like my thighs are too big but according to my dr I'm not being adversely affected by my weight).

3. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say that's normal. I'm 100 pounds (45 kilos) and 5'4 (164cm), and I'm slightly underweight, so that probably makes you about average. If you want more exercise you could try cycling to places, but I'm not sure how convenient that would be for you.

4. Gen

Gen

Having that weight at fourteen is extremely normal. It is neither over nor underweight. Keep trying to maintain a health diet and exercise whenever you can, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

5. florence2000

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey! I am 15, about your height and 121 pounds. I'm not going to lie, I don't like my body. Especially my legs and tummy. But I am healthy and so are you, and don't need to lose weight. Thanks to puberty girls tend to get more fat and fat on there hips, legs and tummy and it might seem weird at first but it is normal! The only thing if you are concerned is eat healthy and exercise, but don't make it your goal to lose weight.

6. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

That's totally normal. :slight_smile:

7. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't sound overweight to me. That seems like a normal weight for your height. If you're eating healthy and not sitting down 24/7 you should be healthy. Some people, no matter how healthy they are, have trouble losing weight, while some eat everything they want and look model-skinny. For your legs, maybe biking would help?
    But from what you said, you seem pretty healthy.

8. blossoms

blossoms Guest

Like everyone else has said, you sound like a completely normal and healthy weight to me! As long as you maintain a balanced diet and exercise when you can, I'd say that you have nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

9. RosexBud

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you're eating healthy and considering you exercise when you can, I don't see a problem! I'm 5'3" and my weight ranges around 93-104/105 pounds currently (im 17) and I do eat all 3 meals and an additional snack (usually fruit) between the hours of 3-4. I don't eat breakfast often but I do if my parents have made it already or if I feel like eating it. It could be cereal or fruit :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. But anyways, I'm considered underweight according to BMI as well! But I don't think it's affecting my health in any way and I am trying to get back into exercise.

Your weight can depend on a lot of other factors as well such as how fast your metabolism is, your height, if you have any health conditions that affect your weight, if you take any medications that can effect your weight, etc.!

Hope this helped! :slight_smile:

10. molsen7961

I'm the same - 16 years old, 5' 4" and 120 lbs. Even though I have free time during the summer, I'm generally pulling 2-3 all nighters per week and rarely sleeping before 7 am during the school year. Combine this with an hour commute to and from school, I generally have little to no time to exercise or even sleep, which means excessive weight gain. I control my diet - lunch, a snack after school, and dinner, no sugar, lots of fruits + veggies, no high fructose corn syrup, highly process foods, white/refined wheat, etc. Honestly, that food monitoring initially lost me about 15 lbs (105 to 90 lbs...I was underweight). But then the lack of sleep and stress that came with high school caused me to gain about 30 lbs over the course of two years, with no change to my eating habits or exercise habits. So this is what I'll say - good sleep is key. If you have time to sleep, sleep. I've already lost 5 lbs (115 lbs at the moment) with no extra exercise or dieting this summer, just because of good sleep.

I have huge hips, upper thighs, and a stomach. Trust me when I know how it feels to be insecure. But I find that playing around with my hair, making it super healthy through hair masks, conditioners, organic serums, etc. helps me take my mind off my body. It's like having a defining feature on my body that I'm proud of helps improve my self esteem and take my mind of the features of my body that I don't like all that much. Try it - play around with make up or a curling/straightening iron and see if it helps you take your mind off your body by enhancing your face/hair.

11. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm thirteen 5'7" and 143 lbs. You're perfectly normal :slight_smile: I have really big thighs and hips too because I ride horses a lot so I get where you're coming from on your legs. Horseback riding won't help the size really but it'll make your legs and calf muscles stronger so you don't look flabby. Biking also works too but I like horseback riding because I also get a workout for my biceps and core muscles along with my legs

#11 galaxygia, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  12. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's completely normal. It all can be related to genetics and lifestyle. Where you body likes to stores fat (and extra fat to survive), metabolism, muscle strength, sleep, etc. Plus you are only 14 right, then your still growing into yourself. Plus from what you say you eat pretty healthy.

The BMI test isn't completely accurate with the factors I just mention, but it's a good example for a broad overview of understanding ones weight. But you don't need to worry about that.

13. RainOnVII

That's a completely normal weight and appearance--you can look up a height/weight chart if you want, but that's just a guideline. Drinking enough water also contributes to your weight, a couple pounds worth--I'm 5'4.5 and last I checked, I weighed 119lbs, which means I'm underweight--but that's probably because I don't drink near enough water. You seem to have a pretty healthy lifestyle, hence a healthy body.

14. Midori

Out Status:
    Some people
    ^^ You have a healthy body. I actually also felt a bit overweight because my thighs are a bit large.. Thirteen, 5"7-ish and about..97? 98? pounds.. So, I'm actually underweight.. i eat all three meals everyday(Sometimes two meals, or one) including lots of snacks.