1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food I Can Horde

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thepandaboss, Aug 5, 2015.

1. thepandaboss

Lately, I've had a big problem with food. A lot of it is because of my living situations. My partner's mom, as I've written about before, lives with us and I rent a room. However, she's been a pretty difficult person to live with. She always berates me for eating more than one meal a day, is constantly in a bad mood (meaning she'll get verbal or physical if she's pissed enough), and this means I usually hang out in the back of the house since she hangs out in the kitchen almost 24/7.

It's getting to the point where I feel sick by midday. I develop headaches pretty constantly, I'm shaky and nauseous, and I don't feel any better until I eat or drink something. But she'll even give me trouble for drinking water when she's in a bad mood. It doesn't help that I work from home.

I tried hording cliff bars for a while but they're not filling and they're pretty expensive for how many bars you get. What are some other good, non-perishable foods I can keep around? If it's low fat but still packed with protein that would a plus.

2. SpiritEnergy

You should actually talk to her and your partner and sort things out. You love there, also. You should be able to eat whatever you like and whenever you like. You should talk to them...

3. thepandaboss

Oh believe me, I have. I've talked to her. Partner's talked to her. She's just a horribly stubborn woman. Sure, she doesn't actually call me a fat ass anymore but it's pretty clear based on a lot of the things she's says. She's still really contensious and bitter. I hate being around her most of the time anyway. I mean, she doesn't leave the kitchen. You have to get her to move in order to even be able to retrieve a plate, cup, or bowl. Partner acts like I should just be able to stride into the kitchen but he doesn't really eat either.

It doesn't help that I've always had some real bad anxiety. So a lot of this is nerves. She honestly scares me a lot of the time and she's a little old woman about half my size.

4. Acm

Acm Guest

Is it possible for you to leave the house and get food somewhere else?

You could get some crackers, cereal, trail mix, dried fruit, etc. I think some peanut butter doesn't need to be refrigerated. None of that is much of a meal, but it shouldn't go bad.

5. mangotree

Do you have access to a freezer? even perishable foods last a long time in the freezer. e.g. frozen fruit and vegies

6. TraceElement

Can you get a mini-fridge to keep in the back of the house?

7. thepandaboss

Thanks everyone. As far as appliances, nothing. She doesn't want mini-fridges in the other rooms, no access to a freezer or a microwave. The bedroom and office are in the back of the house. Kitchen, garage, and microwave are all in the front and in her little 'throne' area.

I did go out and get granola bars, pita chips, hummus (which has to be kept in the fridge but I can grab it and run), and other small stuff. So here's hoping.