1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shaving Expectations

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by InLoveWithAGirl, Aug 8, 2015.

1. InLoveWithAGirl

So, there's something I have been worried about for a while....shaving. Down there.

I can't for the life of me seem to understand how to shave everything without accidentally hurting myself or missing chunks of hair. There's hair where I wouldn't dare put a razor for fear.

What should I do? I can't ask my mom for help because she will want to know why and I don't want to admit my curiousity and have her tell me I'm not supposed to be curious. I also can't afford fancy razors and my mom has a bottle of nair but on the bottle I think it says not to put it Down There, since it could be harmful.

I'm jusy really embarassed about being hairy. So, if there's a solution please do tell!!

2. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um I've never tried it but trimming pubic hair might be a safer and more comfortable thing to do to not be too hairy. For a lot of people shaving pubic hair is very uncomfortable afterwards. Try using the tiny scissors that come in nail clipping cases? I'm not an expert and I've been meaning to try trimming but this is just an idea that may be more comfortable than shaving. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. InLoveWithAGirl

Yah i think trimming is probably the best option. As for that uncomfortable feelig, yah i have done that, where i failed at an attempt of shaving and instead got razor burn and it felt weird and just ugh

4. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I know right? Shaving is a huge drag for me. Like I dont want to be hairy but I don't want to spend all my time shaving my arm pits and legs. I cut myself on my ankle last time I shaved my legs and it hurrrrtttt.

5. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I agree somewhat with RedBeauty34. You need to trim the hair first, and this goes with all unkempt body hair I might add, as it makes the next stage, shaving it, a bit less of a painful hassle. I should know, as I used this very technique today to get at my armpit hair, and it was a lot easier and less stingy afterwards than if I just tried shaving only. This is if you want to have smooth skin afterwards, of course.

#5 BrokenRecord, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2015
  6. InLoveWithAGirl

Oh so trim first and then shave? Or maybe just trim.

Yah, I've been worried about it since my first partner but luckily I'm kinda single right now so definitely not life or death or whatever (even then, none of my partners have been super annoyed for me being hairy).

Thank you for the post!

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I shave everything off. I've done this since I was like 13 or so. Usually I just use shaving cream and a venus razor. Sometimes I try to get the venus spa breeze ones and they have the shave gel built in it so once you get it wet it works great you just have to go kinda slow so you don't cut yourself

8. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm the same way so I just shave the parts I feel comfortable shaving. I shave around the outsides of the front if that makes sense so I don't have to worry when I wear a bikini. Then I shave the very outer parts of "more down there" (on the outer edges of the lips to be specific). Basically just any part that could show in a bikini.

Then I use scissors to trim the rest. I use normal cutting scissors because I didn't want to ask my mom to by me scissors for trimming. But I've read it's better to have scissors that at least don't have sharp tips on the end. You can supposedly find trimming scissors like that at CVS and I think they come in nail kits too.

IMPORTANT: Don't shave against the grain of your hair because you can get a lot of ingrown hairs that way and it won't feel nice.

ALSO FYI if you have sensitive skin it's possible the first few times you shave could leave you feeling a bit itchy. That's normal because your skin's not used to it yet and the trimmed hair ends are sharp at first. But if you keep doing it somewhat regularly your skin should get used to it and that'll go away.

9. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I don't see the need to shave there.

10. LiquidSwords

I use hair removal cream Down There and it's fine :icon_razz not quite the same Down There as you but I'm sure if you're careful exactly where you put it you'll be alright !

11. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some shave it all off, some trim it, some let it be natural, some ''style'' it for something interesting haha. As long as you feel comfortable, you're fine. For example I feel really weird without not even a single hair down there lol. :grin: so I trim it.

In your situation, trimming is the best option for now.

#11 MyLittleWorld, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  12. scouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ack, no don't use a hair removal cream if you intend to remove all of it! Trust me, haha... Ahh, to be an impulsive teenager again. I'd recommend using creams only if you're doing the bikini line.

Start with trimming if your nervous and progress to shaving when you feel more confident. If/when you decide you want to shave, just take your time with it.

13. v3ronica93

Out Status:
    A few people
    If you only plan on removing hair on the bikini line, the nair would be fine. For other pubic hair, if you don't want to shave, trimming with a pair of nail scissors would be a safe alternative.

14. EastCoastGrl

Instead of scissors, use this Bikini Trimmer | Gillette Venus

It's cheap and works great to keep public hair neat and trim. Plus, there is no risk of cutting, like a scissor.

#14 EastCoastGrl, Aug 15, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  15. zgirl81

Shaving just the bikini area tends to have less ingrown hairs and feel more like shaving armpits.

If I decide to shave it all I tend to take a bath. It seems to help me end up less itchy or ingrown since the skin is hydrated better that way. Also, shaving everything in a small shower while standing makes me feel like a contortionist. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

16. emma7

Well, I used to trim it so what I used to use is either normal scissors or if you have proper hair scissors then use them. I usually just sit down on the bed,towel or toilet and just pull the hair upright and start cutting from the bottom. If it's REALLY hairy I just start trimming from the top (of the hair) to bottom until Iv'e reached the desired length.

As for shaving, (Iv'e done this many times) I just get any razor (just make sure it isn't blunt! The newer the better! I'll explain why in a sec)Before starting look at what way the hair lyes. For me it lyes flat downwards. So in that case I would have to shave upwards. In other words bring the razor upwards.

What I do is wet the hair with water then put on some shaving cream/foam leave for about a minute then start shaving.

Then I start from the top towards to bottom. I pull the skin so its taut and start shaving. If its really hairy trim it first as Iv'e found it causes more irritation to the skin afterwards.

Now onto the newer the razor the better ~ Iv'e found that if the razor is blunt it will start snagging the hairs (obviously) thus causing even more pain and irritation.

As for missing bits,I miss some as well,I just use scissors to trim this.

Irritation after shaving ~ Sometimes it can be sore and after a while (when the hairs start growing back) It will be itchy. Make sure you keep it clean.

Nair ~ If it says not to use it then I wouldn't risk it.

Cuts ~ Sometimes you will accidentally nick yourself with the razor and sometimes the scissors. Just thoroughly wash the wound and get some sort of anti-septic cream or liquid. I use TCP (I don't know if you get it in America..)

Hope this helps!

17. tgboymom

No nair! Don't poison the puddy! Electric shaver with the attachment for trimming instead of shaving. If you have no access to that, take a thin comb and ONLY trim above the comb. Put your finger against anything you need to protect. Don't laugh... I have a friend who gave herself a female circumcision because she was a tad careless. If you shave without getting used to a close trim, be prepared to nearly stick to everything you wear down there. You'll be squirming and pulling your drawers away from your skin all day and YES, I've done it. I'm 52 years old. I've made most of the mistakes except the one my friend did....OUCH

18. InLoveWithAGirl

Wow that does sound ouch!!!

Thank you all for so many replies!!! I really appreciate it!

19. IndigoIndigo

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Please don't even think of using nair. Burning pain on your vulva is not fun. I agree shaving off all pubic hair can lead to itchiness and IMHO an itchy Vulva is also not fun.

I shave the pubic hair inside of my thighs so it does not show in a bathing suit. Otherwise I trim on an infrequent basis because I am lazy and single.

If you want to try a hairless vulva I think this best way is a Brazilian wax at a salon that specializes in waxing but this is expensive so I would wait until you can afford it.

I concur with the recommendation that you get the tiny scissors like for manicure but I recommend the ones with the rounded tips, not the pointy tips since this can lead to accidentally poking yourself if you are rather uncoordinated like I am.

The title of the thread concerns me. Your pubic hair is part of your body and you are free to do whatever you want with it. You do not have to trim, shave or anything else to meet anybody's expectations. If you have a partner who mentions they prefer to go down on somebody who is trimmed, smooth or natural you are welcome to take that into consideration but you should not feel obligated to live up to other people's expectations.

20. InLoveWithAGirl

I've actually stopped shaving anything funny enough. It's kind of liberating, to not do it because I always felt pressured to shave whatever I could. And I hated it. I'm lazy and clumsy and find it really annoying to shave. So, it's nice to chill about it.