1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a fun way to start the day

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by beckyg, Dec 30, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    We had to call the ambulance this morning after my daughter passed out in the hall. She went to the urologist yesterday after having blood in her urine for a few days. The doctor didn't know if she was trying to pass kidney stones (again) or she had a bladder infection so she decided to treat her for both. She prescribed Flomax which is usually for older men with prostrate problems and an antibiotic. Flomax is supposed to expand the urethra making it easier to pass the stones.

She got out of the shower and told me she didn't feel right. She said she got out of the shower quickly because her eyes were going black. I put my arms around her just in time. Her eyes rolled back in her head and she went down. It scared the crap out of me! I screamed at my husband to call the ambulance while trying to check her pulse. All I could think of was a friend of our family whose 21 year old daughter died unexpectedly of a brain aneurysm. Yes, I was panicked! She regained consciousness pretty quickly. I realized she was going to be highly embarrassed when the EMT's arrived since she was stark naked. So I told my other daughter to grab her some clothes we could slide on her while she was on her back. She was happy about that afterward. All the EMT's were very young and cute! :icon_wink

They did alot of tests on her at the hospital and everything came back fine. The doctor on call called her urologist and they suggested taking her off the Flomax. She's been feeling better this afternoon. I just saw on TV though when they were advertising this stuff that it can cause a sudden drop in blood pressure. I'm wondering if that is what happened to her causing the fainting.

2. Mickey

OMG! You must have been frantic! I am so glad she's okay.
    It's a scary thing . I went through something similar with my mom.
    She's okay,too,thank God.
    I hope she continues to improve.

3. Greggers

Ouch! That sounds scary. Im glad you got clothes on her and shes ok. (the first being the more important one :wink:)

Well, i hope you have a plesent evening if your morning was not good :slight_smile:

4. Gumtree

Dropping of blood pressure is a very common side effect of medication - the shower would also contribute to the blackout.

Next time she has a shower, even if she feels fine - tell her to turn off the hot as much as she can and stay in the cool water for around 1 minute.

On a side note, the cold water after a hot shower is also very good for her pores, especially if she wears makeup.

5. Ben

Ben

Oooooh that sucks for her, and you must have been really panicked too.
    (*hug*) Here's hugs hoping she'll get better soon and that taking her off the Flomax will have helped (*hug*)

6. Helen

Helen Guest

Thank heavens she's alright, I hope she gets better soon as well (*hug*)

7. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow Becky that sounds really scary. I'm glad she's doing better and hope it was just a one time thing.

8. KaraBulut

Flomax is the likely culprit.

Flomax acts as a special type of muscle relaxant that affects the muscles that keep urine in the bladder. Unfortunately, there are similar muscles that regulate blood pressure in the circulatory system that can be affected.

That's most likely what happened- her blood pressure was low and with the Flomax side effect, her circulatory system was unable to get her blood pressure back up.

It's an unusual side effect but the drug hasn't really been tested on women since the "on label" use is for men only. I'm sure it was pretty scary to see it happening- especially since it's so hard to know what's going on at the time everything is happening.

I'm glad your daughter is okay.

9. TriBi

Wow - glad she's OK Becky.

10. EM68

I'm glad your daughter is feeling better. I have only heard of Flomax being used for men. My dad took it for a while when he was having his problems.

11. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

(*hug*) I'm so glad she is OK.

12. littledinosaurs

I'm glad shes ok and off the meds that could have caused that.
    i hope she feels better soon!

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yes me too! She seems to be doing good today. She went to work. I'm just glad this happened at home instead of when she's back at college or worse yet, when she's studying spring term in Italy!

14. TheRoof

hope she gets better!!

15. yesplease

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Reminds me of my mom. She'd always be glad that the bad stuff happened when she was around so she could take care of it. Oh well, Mom knows best, ain't that right?

16. biisme

Oh, I missed this yesterday. (*hug*) I'm glad that she seems okay.

(*hug*) (*hug*) (*hug*)

17. Absentminded

I'm glad she seems to be doing better!

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Well we just did a cat scan. They ruled out a bladder infection so it looks like she might have the stones after all. Her doctor wants to know the size to determine if she can pass them or she has to have surgery. :frowning2:

19. KaraBulut

Ouch! Not a fun way to spend the holidays either way.

20. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    After a cat scan and other tests, the doctors ruled out both an infection and kidney stones. Is there anything else that could cause blood in the urine?