1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling of something in my eye

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Maddy, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For about a month, on and off, I've had the feeling that something is in my eye, but nothing's been there. I've flooded my eye with about ten litres of eyedrops, and I and my mother have both had a very careful look at the eye, and as far as we can see, nothing's there to be causing the irritation. At the moment it's so irritating that I've had to patch it, because moving my eye really hurts and I have to keep it closed. It's my strong eye, so now I'm straining to see through one eye that has a tiny percentage of vision (my mother is having to type this, I'm dictating to her). Is there something that can cause the feeling of a foreign body in the eye without there actually being a foreign body there (such as a swollen blood vessel in the inside of the eyelid)?

2. 1974

I am no doctor but i would go and get it checked out ASAP your eyesight is important.

3. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had that happen before but only for about a day or two. Go get it checked out. Hope everything's okay. :slight_smile:

4. KaraBulut

What you're describing is called "dry eye syndrome". It's a constant sensation like there's sand in your eye.

You should see an eye doctor so that he can examine your eyes and determine what is causing the sensation. There's a small gland above your eye that produces tears and you want to make sure that there's not a problem with this gland or the structures of the eye.

In the meantime, stop the eye drops that you're using and use a lubricating eye drop. Don't use an eyedrop that says "gets the redness out"- these can make the problem worse. These will have methylcellulose as an ingredient and you can find them at any drug store. I don't know the brand names in Australia but below is an information sheet that describes the brands available in the US.

http://www.texaseyeplastics.com/Information/Dry Eye Information Sheet.pdf

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been using Systane artificial tears, which my mother uses to keep her eyes working because she has no tears in one eye. I figured they'd be better than regular eyedrops.
    I'll make an appointment ASAP. With the eye patched, it doesn't hurt much, although I'm not sure if that's from not moving the eye or from not having it exposed to light.

6. zoeee

i'm having the same problem at the moment, though it doesn't really hurt it is just really annoying cos i always think there's something in my eye, but there clearly isnt. sometimes it looks as if there was an eyelash kind of touching my eye, and that's causing the feeling, i don't know.if i were you I'd go to the doctors, though...

7. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey maddy
    Im really sorry about your eye, it must be so annoying. Is it the same eye that had your stye/unknown lump on the lid? Sometimes a small little scratch on the eye (mainly the cornea) can cause loads of irritation. I think you can only see the scratch under UV light, so even if your mom had a proper look she might not have seen it. Hope you feel better soon.xx

8. limfjord96

Im not an official EC health expert, but saying that the eye patch helps might indicate that you have one or many micro abrasions, and the light may be effecting it. it happens when a small dust particle gets in the eye and you rub it with out noticing, then it hurts later, happened to me when i was younger. Eye doctor will be able to tell by staining it with iodine and shining a black light in your eye..its kind of cool