1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Really nervous about getting wisdom teeth removed.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Super Trouper, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Hey guys :slight_smile:

So, I'm having two of my wisdom teeth removed tomorrow, and I'm really nervous about it. I've had one removed before, and it was fine. But now it's two, and I've read some stories online about people who died while getting this procedure done (very reassuring, I know). It's probably one of my biggest fears, getting my teeth pulled out, I absolutely hate it.

Should I be worried that something might go wrong or...?
    I'm just really nervous :icon_sad:

2. Hobbes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't worry about it. I had mine taken out and while it was not fun or anything like that, it went well and I did not have any problems afterwards. Do as your dentist says and everything should be fine.

I do understand that you are worried, so was I, everything will be okay.

3. Really

You'll be fine. I had all four of mine out when I was older than you and it's supposed to be easier the younger you are. I had local freezing because I didn't want to go under. I felt nothing and it was actually quite funny. The teeth were very difficult to get out and the oral surgeon did a lot of grunting and bracing himself against the chair. It took an hour and a half but felt like only 30 minutes.

Ask them to put on a radio station you like or take something to listen to for distraction. Maybe some podcast rather than music so you actually have to listen to it rather than have it waft over you.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You're going to be okay, I had all of mine taken out at the same time. Like Really, I didn't go under and experienced the whole thing.

#4 justin88, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  5. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Ah, yes, I remember vividly when I got my teeth pulled, mainly because the sedative they gave me in my gums didn't work. I can still feel where they put the needles in to this day. Don't worry, though, I'm sure you won't have as bad of luck with your teeth getting pulled as I had it. You probably won't feel a thing. Me, as you can tell from the above statement, I wasn't so lucky. I felt like I would rather get dipped in acid than have them continue the operation, as it would be less painful. Just remember, you won't have it as bad as I did. You will most likely have more competent doctors performing the operation, as I had my teeth pulled years ago. :thumbsup:

6. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Keep in mind that people love to tell horror stories. Plenty of people have had perfectly uneventful wisdom teeth removals but what fun is that to talk about?

My uncle, aunt, cousin, and mother have all had wisdom teeth removed without problems. My uncle even refused to take painkillers. The worse thing that happened to my cousin was her cheek swelled up and we teasingly called her a chipmunk. My mother had all four removed, including two that were impacted, and the only thing I remember is she slept a lot because the Vicodin made her nauseous.

Everything's going to be fine.

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course, it doesn't feel good, but don't worry too much about it. Like Aspen said, people love to tell horror stories, but in reality, it is a simple operation.

And remember it is worth it to avoid complications. In my case, i ignored my dentist when he said i should remove mine from the left side. Result: The area around the tooth got an inflammation and i couldn't sleep well for 2 days. I had to take medicine to cure it a bit before having it removed.

So, in resume: Do not worry, it is a simple operation, and totally worth it. Besides, you can have some ice cream after it, while talking to us here in the forum (tell us how it went!).

I still have to remove one more, i will do it when i have enough time. Nothing to worry about.

8. Update:

It went really well :slight_smile: Though, after the anesthesia started wearing off, it began to hurt a lot, but the codeine really helps. Here we only get a local anesthesia, and codeine instead of vicodin for the pain.

Thanks for all your replies, guys.

#8 Super Trouper, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015