1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motivation?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Hopeful, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Hopeful

Hi everybody, I'm looking for some help on how to stay motivated.

I used to be very active. I would run 4-5 days a week (2-2.5 miles, occasionally longer - not fast, slow but steady) and swam 4-5 days a week. Last year I dropped the swimming down to about two days a week and then got really into some exercise classes.

However, I went and did too much too fast and my knees were bothering me. I took some time off for a while to let my knees heal and they've been fine for months. I got busy and never really got back into anything. I'd like to.

I used to like running with my mom in the mornings. The problem is, to go running with her I need to be up and ready to go by 6am at the latest, sometimes she goes as early as 5 or 5:30. I finally don't have a busy schedule and this is doable, but at the same time: my schedule isn't busy and I don't necessarily have a reason to be up before say, 7am.

I'm just finding it hard to be motivated. Ideally I'd like to be running at least 3 days a week, but 4 or 5 is great because it's consistency. Also, my mom and I run very slowly together and the loop we do is about 2.2 miles. Nothing strenuous so I don't really need to be worried about overdoing the running in that sense. We take about 25 minutes to do the loops: we're not fast. I have a couple of half marathons I'm thinking of running this fall - I've done three so far. I don't usually need to train a lot before a 13.1 but I do need to get SOME distance, even if it's just 5 or 6 miles here or there as long as I don't expect to break any PRs in my races.

Really, I'd love to do a couple of great races this fall with some fun 5ks or 10ks with some good times. I'd also like to get into some kind of other exercises to just be stronger overall.

Mainly I just hate feeling like I've let my body down and gotten so lazy lately! I think I need to get into a routine, but it's hard to want to do so right now. Ideas? Thoughts? What do you all do??

2. Really

Do you have any podcasts you listen to or would like to listen to? I have a couple I really like that I listen to only when I'm running. They come out once a week but I'm working through the old ones. Maybe if you found some you really liked and saved them for running, that would motivate you.

Forget that 5:00 wake up call, go when you're ready.

I listen to humour ones and a word puzzle one which require me to pay attention to what they're saying (as opposed to music which just wafts over me and doesn't take my mind off the running) so the time passes super fast. (I only wear one earbud so I can still hear if cars are coming when I cross streets.)

If your interested, these are my favourites
    Ask Me Another : NPR
    Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! : NPR
    Sunday Puzzle : NPR

I've also recently signed up for a Learn to run 10k clinic given by a local merchant. They also offer a free drop-in run which I also go to so that takes care of two weekly runs. :thumbsup:

A few running stores also offer free drop-in runs and various clinics. Maybe your city has them, too.

#2 Really, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. Hopeful

Great idea with the podcasts - thanks! I'll look into those for sure. I've tried music before, but as you said - it wafts over me and doesn't take my mind off of running all that much.

And yeah, I'll see how that goes. Running with my mom MAKES me get up and go, but it's so early. I'll try the podcasts!

My problem with the local drop in runs is that... they aren't so local. My town has under 2,000 people and anywhere with running clubs are over a half hour away. I should look into them though. If I find one I really like, then it would be worth it.