1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He tested positive

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thoughtbubble, Aug 27, 2015.

1. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My ex boyfriend (we were together for 2 years) tested positive today. I tested negative. At the clinic we did two different rapid testing for me and they both came back negative.
    The man at the clinic stated that based on what i told him that he believes that the results are accurate. I am still a mess though...I just keep thinking "what if"... He told me to go back in 2 months but i am sure I will be stressed about for the next 60 DAYS.
    has anyone gone through this?
    Any advice?
    Thank you in advance for taking the time.

2. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I assume you are referring to HIV testing. There are certain sexually transmitted diseases such as Hepatitis B and HIV which have "window periods". During this period the virus is already in your body lying dormant. When testing is done it gives a false negative result. In case of HIV the window period is 3 months. Therefor within that 3 months you can test negative despite the fact that you already have the virus. Get tested throughout this window period and most especially after the 3rd month when the window period ends, and where the virus/antigens itself or your own antibodies can now provide a positive result.

#2 Blue787Bunny, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  3. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It has been a month since i've been with him sexually, thats why I only need to wait two months. But yes, it is HIV.
    I just dont know what to think. Should i assume i have it too?

4. Runner5

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not necessary. Although he is positive, he could have a low viral count, or you could have just not contracted the disease. You took two rapid tests, I would schedule an appointment with your actual doctor and have a more serious blood test done. The results should be in by a week and would be much more accurate than a rapid test.