1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to cope with the 3 month window?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thoughtbubble, Aug 27, 2015.

1. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My ex-boyfriend tested positive for HIV and i tested negative today. It has been 3 weeks since we had anal sex. All i can concentrate is on hiv hiv and hiv....GOOOGLE does not calm my anxiety. I feel like a train wreck. I cant focus on work or sleep...

2. thepandaboss

I don't know if what I'm going to say will help but I know the anxiety. My boyfriend even feels like that once in a while because even though he tested negative, his ex cheated on him and there was a long period of time before he knew everything the ex had done. I was sexually assaulted a year ago, plus I'd been stupid with the first guy I had sex with so I was anxious about whether I was okay too.

I think the big thing is to realize that regardless of what the test results are, you can still lead a normal life, even if you have to make a few adjustments. If you test negative, it's a reminder to be more careful in the future. If positive, it's not the end of your life. Many positive men lead fufilling lives and there are numerous support groups both online and offline that can offer you needed perspective.

Take care of yourself. I know it's hard not to think about it but you can't let these three months eat at you. Consider a counselor if possible. Feel free to post on here. Do whatever you enjoyed doing before and don't stop enjoying life. Regardless of the test results, you're still you. And that's what matters.

3. smurf

The 3 month window is only for a specific HIV Test. That test is looking for antibodies, hence the wait.

There are other tests that hospitals can administer and send to a lab so they can look for the actual virus.

Go and get it done. Its a bit pricier and it takes some time to get results, but you don't have to wait 3 months and you will find out.

That being said, take deep breaths. You are on it, you will find out, and you will be taken care of either way. This sucks, the anxiety sucks, but you are going to be okay.

So, go to your doctor. Tell them what happened and ask for an immediate test <3

4. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you thepandaboss, that is good advice. I will try to keep my self busy with work.
    Smurf: my insurance kicks in on September 1st so I will go then. Thank you for the advice.
    My mom and I are very close. I sometimes want to tell her because I know she'd know exactly what to say to cheer me up [even if that's to reprimand me (she will do that no matter how old I get)]. That being said I don't think it's fair for me to put this on her. I know she would worry too .

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The thing to know is that the odds are in your favor. I believe the statistic is something like 10% of people who are exposed to someone that has HIV develop it after their first test and during the 3 month window. Your initial test is normally very accurate.

However, you should always wear a condom unless you are in a long long term committed relationship and get tested regularly.

6. aussielefty

I too had been tested last year, was a long wait but glad I had it done.
    thankfully I'm only single so far and no idea what I'd be like with a partner
    good luck

7. Mystory

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If it makes you feel any better, even if you had unprotected anal sex with someone who was HIV positive, you still have a very statistically low chance of contracting anything. Of course, protection is always a must, but usually its important to put these things into perspective and realise that the chances are still very low.

8. thoughtbubble

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's what they told me when I got tested. Since I am the topi am at a lower risk.