1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird Body Hair Problem?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Scorpyon, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Scorpyon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi guys!
    I'm 13, and recently i noticed that my leg hair was getting thicker and longer, my chest hair was also starting to grow. Today i noticed that i had a single hair on my chin and i'm quite worried now. I'm a guy but I have always hated body and facial hair. So now i have 2 questions: Is it normal for LGBT guys to dislike body hair and 2. How can i get rid of it?

Additional info: I'm bisexual, none of my friends have any facial of body hair AFAIK

Sorry for the awkwardness, this is my first time posting on any LGBT forum

Thanks for reading

2. klix

Too much hair in one place, not enough hair in another place... too thick, too ginger, too blond... too skinny, too fat...

First, welcome to puberty and becoming a man!

Body hair is normal, change is strange... over the next few years depending on your genetics (see your dad and grand father's bodies for guidance) you are going to get hairy...

Toes
    Legs
    Bum
    Balls
    Penis
    Tummy
    Back
    Shoulders
    Chest
    Neck
    Face
    Arms
    Hands
    Fingers
    Arm Pits

Depending on your genetics you could get super hairy or very little... Most Asians tend to be less hairy than for example Irish men who can be very hairy...

Basically what I am saying is there is nothing you can do about it, and while you can get worked it up into a serious body image issue, I would suggest you try and embrace your body as it is...

Some guys, myself included like to trim body hair in some places so it is more pleasant, but I wouldn't go as far as to try and remove it or get obsessive about it. Learn to love it.

Also being your age not all of friends will have gotten to the same stage in puberty as you, some are bloom later, some earlier (like you).

3. AKTodd

It sounds like you're starting puberty, maybe a bit earlier than your friends. They'll catch up eventually.

Some guys (LGBT or straight) really love body hair, either on themselves or on their partner (or both). Others prefer being (or being with) smooth. Still others are somewhere in between, either liking a certain amount of body hair but not more than that or only liking it in some areas and not others.

Other than shaving or trimming, there's not much you can do about it that doesn't involve very expensive treatments or caustic chemicals that can hurt your skin - or both.

I would suggest talking to a trusted adult male relative (or teacher or coach or priest if a relative isn't available) about the facial hair and seeing about having them eventually teach you how to shave. It sounds like you're going to need to start within the next year or so anyway. Meanwhile leave the rest of your body to develop on its own.

Once you have started shaving, and have some practice at it, you can decide if you want to apply the same skill to other parts of your anatomy. That may involve using the same razor you shave with or purchasing one of the electric trimmers they make now that include attachments and features for shaving or trimming body hair (aka 'manscaping').

Hope this helps,

Todd

4. guitar

Both posters gave great advice. I'll add that everyone has their preferences. I'm not really a fan of body hair, but some is okay. Both of my ex's loved chest hair so that worked for me. Don't get incredibly worked up over it. A lot of kids at 13 will be jealous you're going into puberty early. Besides, hair can be shaved and trimmed, and you've likely got years before it gets really thick anyways.

5. klix

I was going to say, people get really jealous normally as it's a sign of growing up...

All I will say is untrimmed facial hair can look messy, i.e. if you don't trim it to a uniform length every so often it looks like you don't make an effort, so I would be inclined to just buzz over it periodically if you do decide to keep some...

6. missingmouse

missingmouse Guest

Hey Scorpyon!!! Welcome to puberty!!!! and to Empty Closets!!!

Question #1 Is it normal for LGBT guys to dislike body hair? I don't think this is really an LGBT question....it's more of a personal preference question. I know straight and LGBT people who love body hair and I know straight and LGBT who hate body hair. And also people's taste differ when it comes to body hair on themselves vs others. I personally don't care about my body hair one way or the other but on a significant other I prefer the less body hair, the better....just my preference.

Question #2 How can I get rid of it? There are multiple ways to get rid of body hair.

Shaving (my choice but I was scared of cutting certain parts of the male anatomy at first but learnt to be careful and found this works best for me except for two problems.....ingrown hairs and itching)
    Waxing (can be painful but last longer than shaving)
    Hair removal chemicals (although this can burn the more 'sensitive' areas and are not recommended for those areas)
    Laser hair removal (permanent but expensive)

Hope this helps!!! (at least a little)

PS and for the record, not an awkward question, actually quite common here on EC

7. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm a GIRL and unfortunately have the odd thick few hairs on my chin, down my neck, and down my chest. When you've only got a few stray whiskers, sometimes its easier to just pluck the stupid things out with tweezers. They tend to not grow back as fast and it doesn't really hurt.

I understand how stressful it can be being the first in your group to reach puberty. I started when I was 9 years old, and worrying about shaving and periods in 4th grade was a lot to handle.

As for later in life, pfft. Body hair is a natural thing and everyone has it. You get used to it, and people don't really care that much. They have their preferences but that's it. Women have this pressure to be hairless and my ex boyfriend gave no craps about me naturally being a woolly mammoth.

#7 xxCHAOTIC, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015