1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Query about HRT (MtF question)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Momosboy, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Momosboy

Hey, all,

This is a bit of a research question. I'm writing a coming-out thing for my parents, and I've hit a bit of a speed bump. I've reached the part about HRT and estrogen's effects on the male body, but I'm unsure of the exact effects. I need to know as much as possible. Anyone have anything? Let me know!

Emma Juliet

2. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unfortunately, everyone's body is different, so the exact results are different for everyone, and will also depend on what specific HRT regimen one is on.

Generally, you're looking at increased breast development, more feminine body fat distribution, potentially decreased libido, possible testicular shrinkage, possible infertility, reduced semen production, possibly inability to maintain an erection. If started young enough a feminine bone structure may be possible, and may prevent the voice from dropping, though if you are already in the middle of puberty, or past it, don't count on it. HRT won't change an established bone structure, or raise one's voice.

3. Momosboy

So, basically, because I'm 24, I've got nothing to look forward to? *sigh*

---------- Post added 10th Sep 2015 at 11:08 AM ----------

Well, I guess not nothing. It'll help with my physical appearance. Are there any other things I need to know? Bear in mind, my folks are fundamentalists.

4. RainDreamer

You get to grow your natural breasts! That is reasons enough to get them, don't you think? :slight_smile:

Oh and your skin will be much prettier.

But aside from physical changes, you will also possibly go through mental changes. Getting all the hormone cocktail into your body to trigger a second puberty can does a lot to one's mental state. This is different from people to people though, so no real specifics, but you can prepare for it based on your own knowledge of your dispositions. But ultimately, you are still you.

What do you think your folks are concerned about though?

5. Momosboy

I'm sure they'll BE concerned. I haven't told them yet. I imagine, because I'm autistic, they'd be worried I'd be unable to handle the reactions of my body. Also, probably that I'm becoming a woman. You know how people say God made men and women, and that's it? Well, I believe, with all my heart, that, had the Fall of Man not happened, I would have been born a girl physically. Is that crazy? Remember, I'm a Christian, so don't attack my faith.

I'm truly hoping my mom will trust me enough to let me do this. Please keep helping me.

Emma Juliet

6. Momosboy

I realized I forgot to say something else about this. I'm interested in the risks, too. I need to know everything I can.

7. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, again, it's going to depend on the exact regiment you are on, but Estrogen can cause an increased risk of circulatory issues, possible weight gain, and possible muscle loss. Spiro is likely to cause increased urination, decreased blood pressure, and dehydration if you don't get enough fluids, as it was originally intended to be a diuretic blood pressure medication, and is used in HRT for it's side effect of androgen suppression. Some methods of administering the drugs pose increased risks of other issues, such as liver issues for oral meds, and infections at injection sites.

#7 confuzzled82, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  8. Momosboy

What about cancer? I've heard that's a risk?

9. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't recall that one, but I've not completely checked into those yet. Your doctor should be able to tell you more specifically what risks there are based on your unique physiology and the specific medications. Also, if you are on any other medications either prescription or over the counter, your doctor or pharmacist should be able to check for any potential drug interactions.

10. Momosboy

All right, then. I think that should help me plenty. Oh, one last thing. Cost. Is it possible to get insurance to pay for it?

11. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That will depend on your insurance. Your location may have an impact. If you are in the US, your chances of getting it covered by insurance have increased since Obamacare took effect, but it varies widely from state to state.