1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental health rant

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TraceElement, Sep 10, 2015.

1. TraceElement

So I had an appointment with my psychiatrist earlier this evening. My current diagnoses ar bipolar disorder, ADD, previous suicidal ideation and cutting. The last week or so I have been experiencing increased agitation, decreased attention, and slight thoughts of cutting. So I told my doctor the first two but forgot to tell her about the third. Her responce? I am going to keep your meds the same but want to see you again in a month (opposed to every 6 weeks) and ended the session. No asking how I felt about it or other possible treatment options like going back to therapy or increase or additional meds. This pissed me off because I was really hoping she would at least have sat with me and listened for at least a few minutes. I am getting fed up with how quickly she ends our sessions and acts like we're a factory assembly line and how late she takes me. Like my appointment was at 7 but didn't come get me til 7:18. I know I need to tell her this but I have no idea how to broach the topic with her. I have read other online reviews of her and they all say the sam thing I am experiencing. I am seriously thinking about finding a new psychiatrist but have no idea where to begin. Maybe a trip to see my primary doctor is in order in the next week. I don't know. I just feel so lost right now and don't really have anyone irl to talk with about this.I'm sitting here in my favorite coffee shop trying not to break down and cry.I don't expect any responses just had to get it of my chest.

2. UniqueJourney

If you have other options as far as psychiatrists in your area, don't be afraid to check them out. Be your own advocate. You are a human being, not a chart or a number on lab work, etc. Refuse to be treated that way. Keep searching until you find a doctor that is a good fit for you, one that wants to work WITH you to improve your health.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the past, when you have had her attention, does she give you good advice? Maybe it is just a communication problem and you need to give her a last chance.

You can say that you were disappointed at the last meeting - and tell her why.

But you need to take control of the meeting to make sure you cover all the issues. Or maybe have it written down and hand her something.

If that fails to get her engaged with your issues you would be well justified in getting a new psychiatrist.