1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fractured my ankle 4 weeks ago

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Calix, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Calix

Hi, I managed to fracture my ankle when walking four weeks ago. It was a non-displaced fracture of the fibula and I was given a walking boot for 6 weeks. I was told not to try walking without it until week 5, but I learned yesterday I can stand in the shower okay. I haven't slipped or anything and I'm very careful when moving around (also always have my phone nearby).

I'm just wondering if I am pushing too fast too soon with this. My ankle is usually a bit swollen after the shower but as it does this when I walk with my boot for a while I can't tell if the shower thing is a bad or good idea. I need to slowly build myself back up right?

I'm just anxious that I have to go to back in two weeks and just walking what should be a few minutes up the street is difficult. I'm seeing my doctor before I go back to work so I guess they'll tell me if I'm not ready yet.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While doctors tend to err on the side of conservatism, I have found it is always best to follow along what the doctor suggests. Pushing yourself may lead to unintended consequences.

3. Dollop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i would second that you got 6 weeks to take it easy, make the most of it :grin:

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would take your time with it. My ankle is messed up because I did not follow the recommendations of the doctor. It's important that your ankle has the time that it needs to heal, and walking on it does not give it that time.

5. robclem21

When the joint is immobilized, the tendons and muscles around it shrink because they are not being used. While this makes the muscles a bit weaker, the tendons holds the joint more tightly together. After a fracture or sprain or dislocation, tendons may becomes stretched, and although it may not hurt, it is more susceptible to re-injury because it hasn't yet regained a "tight" hold around the joint.

Take the recommended time of inactivity and it may save you a lot of re-aggrivation down the road.

6. RainbowMan

In addition to taking the required amount of time off of your ankle, are you going to physical therapy and adhering to the home exercise programs that they've given you? That makes all the difference in recovery I've found - if you aren't religious about the exercises that they give you (and believe me I wasn't and paid for it), then you're in for a much longer recovery than you otherwise would be.