1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cold Sores

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Paralyzer, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Paralyzer

whatever you wanna call it.

For the first time ever, I have cold sores on my upper lip and on my chin and I was freaking out all day. I don't know what happened, but I also got very sick and I had to be sent home from school because I was running a fever.

Well, I know how I got them, my bf broke out really bad during New Years and I really wanted to kiss him at midnight so I wasn't being very responsible. I always kind of guessed I would get them, but I'm just so uncomfortable having this new virus for the rest of my life when I'm almost certain I didn't have it before. We both smeared on a bunch of antibacterial stuff before we made out.. and I will say it was kind of gross to not only kiss him with cold sores, but with a burning fluid on our mouths. Well, obviously it didn't work. 2009 Actually started out to be a great year.. but then this happened.

Since I'm new to the whole cold sore ordeal, I was just wondering what to expect. Am I supposed to get sick every time I break out? Can I spread them to other parts of my body? That'd be terrible... and I guess I have to ask if I can spread them to other parts of other people's body too..
    Can I touch a cold sore then touch my eye? Can I lick someone elses eye? Haha, I know that last part was weird but I wanna know..

So I'm very sick at the moment, and I'm also a little emotionally uncomfortable with having caught something like this and the way it happened. Again, I take responsibility for not being responsible.. but I would still like some comfort :[ Can you guys make me feel better? Haa..

EDIT:
    Also, I have to know the difference between a cold sore and a fever blister. I don't exactly know what a fever blister is.. but my bf said that more than likely that is what he had. Just wondering...

#1 Paralyzer, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  2. littledinosaurs

They can spread to other parts if you touch them to those parts while you have one.
    but when you aren't like cold soring it won't spread.

3. Paralyzer

So I the phrase "Cold Sores" is just a euphemism for the word Herpes.
    Okay, now I'm starting to feel like shit.

It's just weird because so many people get them, like fifty percent of my friends have had cold sores so that means that fifty percent of my friends has herpes. I know I've just been infected because I have a fever. I'm so pissed... the damn virus is making it's way to my spine and there's nothing I can do about it.

They apparently show up during times of stress which sucks for me because I'm stressed all the time... so that means I'm gonna have these nasty boils on my face everytime I start feeling down and feeling that way is sometimes like a drug which means sometimes it feels good to feel down.

Alright.. fuck
    So there's nothing I can do, I might as well say I have an STD, since I wasn't born with "cold sores" Can you guys please make me feel better? I'm like, not getting any help at all. Please tell me I'm not the only one.... I know I'm not but..
    :frowning2:
    Someone tell me I'll be okay..

4. thespanishheart

Hun, I don't see much to worry about.

I sometimes get cold sores, my dad sometimes gets cold sores --- most people do. It's not anything like having an STD, becuase it's common. I mean, it's just a bacterial thing, right? If you're stressed, your immune system is down, which is when you get sick. The cold sore is sometimes just a little sign that your body is going through some crap as far as a virus, etc. Also, I doubt most people have cold sores EVERY TIME they get sick. I certainly don't.

Maybe I'm being neive, but I think almost everyone gets cold sores --- nothing to be ashamed of. Also on the neive side, of course they can spread. If the bacteria "pus" touches other parts of the body then I'm sure that area may get one too. It's like acne. If you get that bacteria on other parts of your body you may break out.

Also, I'm not an expert, but I've personally never heard of having cold sores in areas away from the lips... Maybe it's possible, but I've never experienced or seen it. Keep using the creme, but treat your immune system too! Vitamin C, etc.

Seriously babe you don't have anything to worry about (*hug*)

#4 thespanishheart, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  5. KaraBulut

There are different types of herpes simplex- the one that affects the lips and mouth is type 1. The one that affects the genitals is type 2.

When you have a cold or other illness, you are stressed or you get too much sun exposure, you might also get a cold sore afterward.

The good news is that you probably didn't get cold sores from your boyfriend.

The bad news is that you've had the virus that causes them probably since childhood.

Most people pick up the herpes virus that causes cold sores from their schoolmates or their family as a child. That's why about 75% of people in the US and 80% of people in the UK and Australia test positive for exposure.

People often believe that they "catch" a cold sore. In actuality, the virus is dormant in your nerve endings and periodically awakens when your immune system is busy with other things.

What you can do is apply a moisturizer to your lips. A numbing gel similar to the ones that chlidren use when they are teething will sometimes help. The cold sores usually go away within 3-5 days.

On rare occasions, there are people who break out in cold sores frequently. If that happens, there are antiviral medications that you can take to keep the virus from causing the breakouts.

6. Paralyzer

It really means a lot to know that so many people have them, it makes it feel less like a big deal. The reason I'm so antsy right now is because I've never had them before and then only 4 days after I kiss my broken out bf, I get it.. not only that, the signs of being infected followed suit. The lymph node in my jaw is swollen and it hurts, and I had a fever for the first time in months. I don't know, I guess it's scary to experience something you don't quite understand and when you think you're perfect.

7. thespanishheart

Well hun the good news is that it's all common.

YOU'RE NORMAL!!!! (I mean, we're all "special" but that's besides the point)

Enlarged lymph nodes happen when your immune system is working out. Hell, acne can set those things off, and they can show signs of being slightly puffy for like 6 months. Not that they'll be huge or anything, but I'm being technical. Only be concerned if the lymph nodes are painful to touch gently. If they are, it's just a trip to the doctor for some antibiotics. Still no big.

If you're getting a fever and such you'll probably be sure. Watch out for the flu --- lots of people getting that. I normally don't get sick much either, but hey, crap happens.

Don't worry, you're gonna be fine :wink:

8. Paralyzer

When should I be concerned?
    I have a fever of 101.8 :frowning2:
    Yesterday it maxed at 100.8 then went down to 99 something.

What's going on? :[[[

9. KaraBulut

You've got a winter virus, perhaps the flu.

Take some Nyquil PM or Theraflu. It has Tylenol in it and it will break your fever and it has an antihistamine in it that help you sleep.

Be sure to drink plenty of fluids and get some rest. It will last 3-5 days and it will take about a week before you feel back to normal again.

10. Paralyzer

^^ Thank you.. but my mom is taking me to the doctor soon. Not that you didn't help xD
    I really do appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help peopie :slight_smile:

11. Aries

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah Pretty Much All A Cold Sore Means Is That You Have Been Somehow Infected With Herpes. My Boyfriend Gets Cold Sores All The Time, That Doesn't Stop Me From Kissing Him Whenever He Has One, And I Am Very Suprised I Have Not Been Infected Yet, But It's Really Not That Bad. Just A Sore Or Two In Your Mouth, He says It Hurts Sometimes But That's About it. I Guess It Could Ultimately Lead To Genital Herpes But It Is Treatable, Not Curable But Treatable To Ease The Symptoms.

Also, A Large Majority Of People Arond The World Have This Disease And I Have Never Heard Of Anyone Dying From It.

Just Go See A Doctor, Get A Perscription And You Should Be Fine. :]

12. thespanishheart

Yeah, but I get cold sores rarely, but I've never been in sexual contact with anyone. I'm very deprived lol There's no way to really point it to herpes for me. I just find it far-fetched.

13. Jim1454

I appreciate it too!!! Karabulut ROCKS!!! (!)

14. randombelle

try some creams you get overthe counter. My mum uses them and they seem to hold them back a bit

15. Marge

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ok so if people with herpes must disclose their status, why are cold sotes any different. They are oral herpes with a pretty name. As oral sex is pretty common, and there is asymptomatic shedding MORE in oral herpes then gential herpes, you must disclose. You can easily transfer either strain between body parts. Genital herpes had a stigma attached. That's the only difference.

16. BiWidow

From my understanding, as long as you abstain from oral sex when you have a cold sore, you will not cause anyone to develop genital herpes.

17. KaraBulut

Old thread but I did want to add a couple of comments and clarifications.

Herpes simplex is the virus involved in both cold sores (HSV-1) and genital herpes (HSV-2). Same virus, just different strains that have adapted to infect different places on the body.

The big difference between the two strains has to do with the appearance of the sores, how we get infected and where on the body the sores are.

No one enjoys having a cold sore on their lip. It's unsightly and doesn't exactly look kissable. But since most humans carry the virus that causes cold sores, it's a bit unfair to think of those who have a cold sores as being "infected". Truth is, most of us are "infected". We just don't have a sore until we get something that weakens out immune system enough to allow another breakout.

When it's herpes on a penis or female genitalia, our Puritan attitudes about sex get activated. And because this strain (HSV-2) of the virus is spread via genital-to-genital conduct, then it makes it even more "dirty". I suspect that given what we know about STIs in heterosexuals, a large percentage of straight people probably carry HSV-2.

HSV-1 can infect the genitals by the way. However because the virus is not well-adapted to infect the genitals, most people who get an HSV-1 infect only break out with sores one time. It very seldom results in a recurrent infection, unlike HSV-2.