1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if this is the right place to post but...

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Canterpiece, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    These days I'm fairly open about things, but sometimes whenever people say the word "gay" I get a stomach ache. :confused: Yeah it might seem kinda silly but I don't know it's weird. I feel that I have accepted things but I still have moments where it physically hurts me and I know I'm just being overly-sensitive.

Does anyone else get this? :confused:

2. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I know how you feel. I'm usually pretty laid back and I tend to make jokes at my own expense. But if someone uses gay in the derogatory sense I feel bad. I don't get physically ill or anything but I'm still kinda offended. And I know usually it's no big deal but I'm still kinda mad for a little bit. Which may be part of why I'm not out to more people. I dunno. Anyways I'm rambling. Hopefully some of this made sense :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's weird because, sometimes I feel physically ill when someone says it even when it's not used in a derogatory way. Other times, it doesn't effect me. Despite being open I suppose there might be some fear left in me from the word- I used to be bullied for it so I suppose I could subconsciously still fear the word.

Other times it has no effect on me, when friends say it, it doesn't seem so bad. But when my family says the word usually I feel slightly ill. Even when it's not in a derogatory sense. But that might just be because I'm not out to them yet.

4. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The word "queer" was causing me a lot of discomfort. When I was growing up that word was always used in a derogatory way. Now I seem to be getting past that.

5. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Yeah, since I started questioning I had thought I'd become very accepting and cool about not being straight, but then there are some instances and situations I'm in where I realized I still have a lot of inner anxiety about it and I don't feel ready to accept it so I can see where you're coming from. I guess what has helped me (at least I think it's helpful) is just immersing myself in LGBT+ culture and other peoples' lives more, like coming on EC and talking to people with the same problems, or watching LGBT+ youtubers, stuff like that to remind you that you're not alone and even though it seems like it you're not abnormal. You're completely normal and you just have to get that in your head (and so do I).
    Hopefully in time, you'll get more and more used to the idea and know it's what makes you happy and you'll feel better.
    Also it makes sense that people saying gay makes you feel weird. We don't label straight people as straight all the time, so just labeling someone as gay kind of makes it weird, so just try not to pay attention to that. That may be how other people feel, but you are you and you're not different or "the gay one", you're just you and you like what you like same as everybody else.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you have a bit of internalized homophobia to sort through. Seems to be a common thing to deal with. There are a bunch of threads on it, do a search.

Given all of the negative perceptions, even In today's increasingly accepting environment, getting comfortable with yourself is more than just accepting your sexuality, it's embracing and being comfortable with it. No doubt, this can take some time. But I do believe recognition is a large part of the battle!

7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I'm still anxious about it but I am more open these days. I trembled a bit before when a friend of mine asked me if my rainbow bracelet was supposed to represent something, but I finally struck up the nerve to tell her what it was in the end so I consider that a small victory in a way. :eusa_danc

I tend to give others the same advice. Honestly I think I spend too much time following LGBT+ YouTubers as it is. :grin:

#7 Canterpiece, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015