1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a heartattack? Will I die

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Jogos, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Jogos

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi everyone, I am really in need of some serious help, I am so scared. I am male 19 years old and I suffer from anxiety, I only really noticed around age 18, maybe late 17 and with every year it’s been getting worse usually its triggered by either stress or nerves, but stress is the worst kind, sometimes I have general anxiety, where it’s a little hard to breathe but i am learning to control it, since i have moved in with my father, i had to move because of college, as I used to only live with my mother, i couldn’t stand my father he was abusive, I have been constantly arguing with him, sure there are days and times we are ok, when he is kind but I mean It’s just i have a lot of hatred towards him, and disgust at his personality, I built this up since I was a young kid. I have been with him now for what 3 weeks? and last night we had an argument.. yet another, and i woke up this morning with my heart feeling so weird, I can’t explain, My anxiety has given me tightness of breath, heavy heart, feeling like my heart is trapped, and a slight sharp pain, but today it was different like i had an artery clogged? I’m not sure, also around my heart area it feels warm\hot not burning but im not sure what burning would be considered.. i am usually so so at describing stuff but i felt so weird, and then that feeling (not the heat feeling, the weird uncomfortable one) moved to my left arm, and left my hand a little cold and numb, now in the past few months with anxiety attacks yes i have had the same sensation in my arms and fingers, which are symptoms of a heart attack but this stress is too much for me..

Later on today as he kept on talking I felt like everything around kinda wasn’t real, even though i knew it was, like as if my heart was gonna explode or die even though it wasn’t tight at all or hurting, just feeling like a weird artery had issues or something, like something it in isn’t right.. And so I forced myself to think of good things, when my father stopped talking and i was alone listening to music i calmed down much more, however my body in general still felt weak and sore, but now tolerable i guess... later on in the day, in fact less than 30 minutes ago my dad called me for dinner and just being around him stresses me, when he then knocked on my bedroom door, i said "Please just go I wanna be alone my chest really hurts" and he wouldn’t stop offending me so I had to get angry for him to leave and my heart felt that weird artery feeling again, and warm sensation its still feeling warm now, its weird, I contacted my mother who kept telling me "to deal with it" and I told her, I feel like I am going to die, I can’t seem to relax, a little yes but my chest feels weird, I hate this man, but I have to live with him, he has been offending me since i was younger and I’m sick of having to re-live this so I wanna just come home and quit college so i can get on with my life, because they keep sending me work from college but with anxiety its hell how can I concentrate, because it attacks the one place that can finish me off... My heart! When I was younger I would get stomach pains and just feel this tingly feeling... but now it’s spread to my chest, but my mother yelled at me and said "hell no you are not coming back home, deal with it" I feel like I am going to die and I am so scared because i want to live, I want to be able to be happy in my life, High school was hell and thats where i think my anxiety got triggered to a worse stage but now this... I have had heart pains from anxiety but this one is different, when my mind isnt thinking about it i get a little better but as soon as something happens that stresses me or makes me remember back to this stage I am, it’s been a day from hell. I cannot get into another university until next year, something I beg you help me

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, do you think it was a panic attack?

3. Yosia

Anything like this requires medical attention. Go see a doctor as soon as you can please.

And as for your parents, honestly, they seem abusive and you should not have to live being abused. Seeing as you're 19, you should be free of your parents having parental responsibility over you? Have you thought about trying to get away from them and move out? Maybe into another family members or friends house if you cannot afford your own?

Living like this will just damage you in the long run, so maybe you should try to fix it.

Please get clarification on your medical issue though. Never leave anything which you feel is bad.

4. FrereApothicair

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes panic attacks can be accompanied by chest pain, hyperventilation, and, yes, the feeling that you are going to die. If thinking calming thoughts helps bring it down, that is likely what it is (considering your already-anxious state). Even so, it's probably still a good idea to see a doctor. If it's not heart trouble, they will still likely be able to give you/suggest a remedy for the issue. Be well, dude.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Please seek medical attention. At the least, these could be anxiety attacks. How much caffeine do you drink if I may ask? Your nervous system can go crazy with too much caffeine from energy drinks/loads of pop. I would get these feelings including shortness of breath. Only a doctor can find out after some tests are run. You are an adult and have every right to the appropriate medical care.

6. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    hi...

as a med student here's what i thought

WHO criteria for diagnosing a MI (Myocardial Infarction / Heart Attack) is at least 2 of the following:
    1. Specific Chest Pain (Angina)
    2. Elevated Serum Cardiac Markers (CKMB or cardiac Troponin I)
    3. Suggestive ECG findings

since there are no info about no 2 or 3, and i'm a bit fuzzy about the characteristic of your chest pain therefore i cant say whether what you have is an MI or not.

you should go visit your GP or a cardiologist to get full workup done and obtain further management (if necessary)

I hope you're okay tho (*hug*)

7. UniqueJourney

I've experienced this before. Went to the hospital on two different occasions for fear that I was having a heart attack. The first time the tests showed some minor abnormalities but nothing serious. The second time was another confirmation that there was nothing physically wrong...ie what I was feeling was the result of anxiety.

Since then I've been through periods where I felt like I was having a heart attack every day, my stress levels were so high. My father's family has a bad history of heart disease so in the back of my head I worry that one day it won't just be the result of anxiety and stress.

Ultimately, the best thing I did for myself was to find an excellent counselor and work with my doctors to find the right combination of medication. Both of these things have helped me manage my anxiety so that I no longer feel that severe "I'm having a heart attack and I'm going to die" level of anxiety.

Definitely go to the doctor to rule out heart issues. Then, search for resources to help you manage your situation. As someone else mentioned, is there anywhere else you can live? Are there on campus support groups you could join?

Remember that you do have options. You don't have to stay in an abusive situation. You are in control of your life. Start with a small change to improve your situation, and let that be the first building block to turn your life around.

I wish you all the best.