1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to lose weight

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by KawaiiShoelaces, Oct 12, 2015.

1. KawaiiShoelaces

Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay so, I am overweight and I hate it, I want to lose weight but like my family cooks far too much food at dinner like enough to cover all of the calories that one would need in a day in one meal and I don't want to offend them by not eating their cooking, also I don't want to exercise because well I look ridiculous doing it and yeah, so what I'm asking is would it work and be healthy to lose weight by just eating 3/4 of dinner, no breakfast, and no lunch?

#1 KawaiiShoelaces, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  2. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    First if all I commend you for doing something about it.Many people are overweight and do nothing about it so Congratz!About the dinners.Could you talk to your family about why you want smaller portions?Maybe they would be understanding if you tell them why you want to lose weight?Is it because you will look better or you would look better?Whatever the reason they should be understanding and should not take offence in my opinion.Also tell them to cut out as much fats such as butter and switch to margarine and use small amounts of olive oil.

Unfortunately,in your case, exercise is one of the best ways to lose weight.It burns calories and it also makes your lungs and heart work more efficiently.Also diabetes and heart disease risk is greatly reduced.One if the best exercises for weight loss is jogging.Make sure you don't jog too long and too fast as this is just to increase your endurance.Have fast sprints for about 39 seconds to 1 minute and then normal pace.Yiu will have I experiment to find what the normal pace is for you.Also a you get fitter te normal pace will speed up.Think about it if nobody thought you looked ridiculous doing exercise would you happily do it? If yes just don't think about anybody else just yourself.

Secondly, exercise and a good diet combined together is a fat blaster!Cut down ok saturated fats and start eating good fats.Sources if good fats include nuts,seeds and fish.These are high in omega 3 which help brain function.Also cut down on carbohydrate but not too much as you need them for energy.Make sure you eat your five a day.Drink water instead of fizzy drinks as these are full of sugar.Also sometimes hunger can just be thirst.Cut down on chocolate and sweets and ice cream.Keep these to very small treats and not every day.Also choose lean meats and low fat milk cheese and yoghurts.

About the not eating breakfast and lunch this is be a very good idea.In your head you may think you are going to loose weight due to this but in reality your body will respond to this and release cortisol which stores fat.So any fat you eat for dinner will be automatically stored because your body does not think it is getting enough food.Also you red to eat to maintain concentration and prevent headaches.

This might sound like a huge chore but if you stick to it you will notice a huge difference and you will feel much better about yourself.

Best if Luck,
    TheBiBoy

3. Jamie1975

Hi Shoelaces

I can totally relate to this as I am wanting to lose weight myself.
    Have been trying for last 6 months and whilst I have already lost 3.5 stone (UK) I still have a long way to go. I still need to lose around another 7-8 stone.

I just feel rejected because of my weight and find hooking up with someone cause they reject me cause of my weight (and the size of something else!)

Why are people so judgemental.

If you ever want to talk I am here for you

Jamie
    xx

4. Titchy Stryder

Out Status:
    Some people
    I second pretty much everything that TheBiBoy said. Sign up for a gym if you can afford it. I know you think everyone will be watching you and judging you. I felt the exact same way when I first joined up to lose weight, but honestly, nobody cares. They're there to work out, just like you are and they only care about their workout.

Swimming and cycling are also a great way to lose weight as they help build muscle.

Rather than not eating all of the cooking, can't you just ask for smaller portions? Or ask to start cooking for yourself? It's a great way to find healthy food in good portions that you like. As said above, DO NOT skip breakfast and lunch. Little and often is actually proven to be a better meal plan than having three set meals a day. Six little meals is exponentially better for your body and weight loss than breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The best tip is to build muscle. Muscle helps burn fat so much faster. It won't help with 'weight loss' per say, since it ways more, but you'll be much more toned and it'll be a good weight, not bad weight.

If you want, feel free to shoot me a message of some sort. I'm currently working out and losing weight myself, so I'm always here to help anyone out.

5. Jamie1975

Hi Stryder

I could sure do with some support at the moment as I am soon to give up if I am not careful.

Have lost 4 stone so far but need to lose a lot more

Can't pm yet but think I can reply if u send me one

Thanks

Jamie
    xx

6. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you talked to your family about this? If you explain to them you're trying to eat less for your health they would hopefully understand.

I've actually lost about 17 lbs in 2 months and trying to go for 30, which would mean I'd weigh less than I have in about 8 years or so. Here's what I've tried to do, with the help of a trainer at my gym (which might be something worth looking into for yourself):

-Spread out eating throughout the day, about every 3 hours or so, alternating between a meal (400-600 cal) and a snack (<200 cal). If you deprive yourself too long, your blood sugars get out of whack and your body will overcompensate when you finally eat again.

-Portion control. This kind of stems from the last point, but at no point should you be eating huge meals. It's tough because I like to finish everything in front of me. Learn how to limit yourself. Everyone has their own strategies that work for them, but one thing I try to do is not eat snacks right out of the bag so I don't overdo it.

-Limit sweets. I know it sucks because I have a HUGE sweet tooth. Usually a fun-sized candy bar or a small handful of chocolate chips will be enough. Frozen fruit or frozen yogurt bars also work

-Eat more protein. It keeps you feeling fuller longer. If you like cereal (hot or cold) or yogurt, add a spoonful of whey protein to it. Eggs are great too.

-The carb:fiber ratio. Read nutrition labels and look at the amount of carbohydrates and the amount of fiber per serving. If the ratio of carbs:fiber is greater than 10:1, it's not good. You'd be surprised by what you find--some things that look healthy aren't

-This disgusting tea mix that my trainer has me drink every morning. Steep 4 bags of Yogi Detox Tea (available at my local supermarket) and 10 bags of green tea in a quart of hot water overnight. To make it not taste disgusting, serve ice-cold and squeeze in half a lemon. It's nasty af but it works

-Be more active. This is where my trainer has really helped. She's given me targeted routines to help me work different muscle groups and burn fat, without making me work too hard or hurting myself. Yes, there are people far more fit than I am at the gym (some of them so hot I worry about where my blood is flowing, if you know what I mean). And there are times I've been totally confused by what to do with some of the machines. Nobody's laughed at me and a couple people have given me pointers when it was obvious I was doing something wrong. If you don't want to work out in public or don't have access to a gym or trainer, look for videos or books by reputable trainers and coaches and do the exercises at home

-Be patient and realistic with yourself. I'm not doing this to be a skinny twink or to win bodybuilding contests. I just want to feel healthier. Even if I don't lose another pound, I've never been more active or had healthier eating and exercise habits in my life, and that's awesome. I've also had weeks where I didn't do so well with my diet and exercise, and it's hard not to beat myself up for it, but I didn't give up.

-Find a support team. It helps a lot to have people to go through the process with you. My bf hasn't come to any training sessions with me or gone as full-fledged into a diet like I have, but he's still lost about 7 lbs just by trying to copy some of my eating habits.

-Avoid alcohol and sugary drinks (this includes diet sodas) as much as you can. They're just empty calories. I've largely restricted my drinking to special occasions. I do sometimes have diet soda when I need extra caffeine, but I've gone from 2-3 a day to 3-4 a week.

I really hope this helps. Feel free to PM me or post on my wall if you have questions or want additional resources.