1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open Thread: Eating Disorders

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Willa, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Willa

Eating disorders are a big problem in the LGBTQ+ community, because so many of us have difficult relationships with our bodies. I would like to offer a safe space where people can come and share their questions, concerns, stories, and fears about eating disorders. I am in recovery from anorexia. I went through all the ugliness, and now I am living a healthy life, so I would love to help some people. Post your questions, concerns, etc. here, and I will check the forum regularly and do my best to give you a timely and helpful response, and maybe point you to some resources.

Here is a brief definition of an eating disorder, so you know if you fit here.

An eating disorder is what happens when you have a compulsive, unhealthy relationship with food that you can't control. This could be eating too much, eating too little, having unhealthy food aversions or eating habits... The Big Three are anorexia (fasting or extreme control of food intake), bulimia (consuming large amounts of food and then purging, either by vomiting or abusing laxatives/diuretics), and binge disorder (being totally unable to control how much you eat, especially under emotional stress). But there are other unhealthy food relationships, like compulsive dieting.

This is a safe space. Come on in, make yourself at home. No one will judge you and you can express yourself however you need to.