1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Continuous birth control

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by UniqueJourney, Oct 24, 2015.

1. UniqueJourney

Does anyone have experience with continuous birth control (ie the type that completely prevents menstruation)?

My regular doctor is keeping me slightly hyperthyroid while I work with another doctor regarding medications for my depression, anxiety, and PTSD. His reasoning for keeping me hyper is that lowering my thyroid medication could increase my depression (and my history with hypothyroidism makes that a valid concern).

However, now I'm experiencing much more frequent periods...and that means almost continuous pms. I have always been sensitive to my monthly hormonal fluctuations, and seem even more so now. So in spite of the intent to help my depression by keeping me slightly hyper, the shortened cycles are actually making it much worse.

It has been recommended that I talk to my regular doctor about using birth control to prevent my period from occurring...and thereby removing/reducing the hormonal fluctuations that are causing me so many problems right now.

Does anyone have any experience with using birth control for this purpose? Or just experience with continuous birth control in general?

2. Distant Echo

I have used it to skip periods but only one or two. not long term.
    never had any problems with that