1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Psych meds

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Zen fix, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Had a frank discussion with the therapist today about the possibility of starting on some sort of medication. I've been seeing her for several months now and this is the first time either of us brought it up. It was timely because I have been thinking about it anyway. In the past when I've struggled with anxiety and depression I have always been able to make some key changes and get past it. This time it has dragged on at a high level long term.

This is a bummer for me as I have viewed using meds to help with this as a defeat (only for myself I don't look down on others who have needed meds) In spite of basically being afraid of my own shadow I have always pushed past it and accomplished many things that had seemed impossible to me. I had crippling panic attacks in my twenties in certain situations, I was finally able to face those situations. I was terrified of public speaking, I now give presentations all the time. I was horrified of certain duties of my chosen career, I was able to perform those duties with competence and compassion for my clients. These were my Mt. Everests and I did it over and over.

Things are different now. I realize not only am I not getting up Everest but I'm not even leaving the base camp. I'm just super disappointed. I want to do it myself even if it hurts but I'm failing....and it still hurts.

I work in healthcare, have administered probably every psych med there is but don't have any personal experience with it. I worry that they won't work, the side effects will be intolerable. I also worry that I'm just doping myself up so I'll be able to tolerate certain life situations when I should really change the situations. I'd love to hear any experiences or advice you all may have.

2. Asuzu

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I use to think the same as you regarding meds... Till earlier this year when my anxiety got so bad that I was unable to work and I basically laid in bed focusing on my breathing... Lost 12 lbs in a week and had to be hospitalized. Now I am on anxiety meds 2 times a day tho the majority of the time I only take the morning one and not the evening one. Life is easier with them. Makes my anxiety manageable and a lot easier to deal with. I was also diagnosed with agoraphobia so.... Yea, meds work wonders and there is no shame in having to take them. Also, nobody has to know about it.

As far as side effects, I find them to be manageable yet annoying. My teeth randomly chatter and I get jittery as well as a little twitchy but meh, the positives out weigh the negatives.

3. UniqueJourney

I built up these huge stigmas in my head over the course of my life. Stigmas that made me shy away from talking to anyone about what I was going through. The thought of getting counseling and/or going on medication seemed equivalent to the idea of getting hospitalized in a psych ward.

Like you I just pushed through everything in my life...until it all finally reached critical mass and I either had to reach out for help or end up dead.

It was very difficult for me to take those steps to get help. It wasn't until I fell asleep driving 80 mph down the interstate on my morning commute (because I couldn't sleep due to my anxiety and depression) that I was finally willing to go on medication.

The first med was xanax at bedtime to still my mind so I could sleep. It worked great to put me under, but after only 4 hours of sleep I would wake up with an anxiety attack that wouldn't go away. It was worse than no medication.

Then they switched me to klonopin. After being severely and chronically sleep deprived for 8 months it was literally a lifesaver for me. It didn't solve anything, but it kept me on the right side of the knife's edge. I was finally able to get more adequate sleep.

Then they tried a number of anti-depressants, and my body reacted violently against each one. I gave up on anti-depressants as impossible for me to take. It's honestly a miracle I survived that period in my life.

Fast forward 4 years through more struggles. My thoughts about anti-depressants gradually changed. I started taking Celexa and it wasn't the end of the world. My doctor thinks that the first time I tried anti-depressants my harsh view about taking medication combined with everything I was going through at the time created a self sabotaging reaction. And I think he's right.

I still have some side effects that we are trying to mitigate. But I am extremely grateful to finally be (mostly) free of the dark cloud of gloom and despair that colored my world before. It is allowing me to take healthy, positive steps forward that I've never been able to take before. I have hope. And what a precious gift that is!

From someone whose journey has taken me from stigma at the thought...to gift at the experience...medication can free you. It can unfog your view.

Anxiety and depression left me frozen in cycles of abuse. Counseling and medication are helping me become the captain of my own ship.

4. Hiems

Being concerned about side effects of the psychotropic medications is indeed something you should bring up, because adverse effect profiles help rule out which ones are not preferred. For instance, SSRIs indicated for panic disorders, e.g. Paxil, Prozac, and Zoloft, usually cause sexual dysfunction. So if you're sexually active, then this drug class might not be the best choice.

Another issue for most psychotropic medications is therapeutic lag. It takes awhile for the effects to kick in, usually about a month. So how fast a drug works might be an issue to bring up as well.

Benzos might be your best bet there, because they have a fast onset of action and can be used as needed for panic disorders.

You say you're concerned about using medications, and so I'm guessing that you're open to non-pharmacologic therapies too. If so, then ask your therapist about other options, like cognitive behavioral therapy, exercise, etc.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I would say, if you feel there is a need, try it. Be kind to yourself - it does not make you weak. Think of it as if you have a cold. If you take a little medicine for that it doesn't make you weak, nor does it magically, instantly cure the problem. It helps (when you find the right medicine).

I have had good experience with drugs. I've got anxiety and so I was prescribed medicine for that. I still have social anxiety and stuff, but I basically don't have any panic attacks anymore. So it's not a miracle cure for everything - but it helped. Same thing with my mood swings. I was prescribed mood-stabilizing meds for that and I'm more even now than I was before. I used to get awful depressive episodes a lot, and kinda hyper, happy episodes.

Talk to your doctor. It has the potential to help you. Your health is worth it - you're worth it.

<3

6. CapColors

Hey just wanted to say that I'm going to think about meds soon, too. I am going to approach my primary care physician or my new therapist.

I think my main concern is ability to focus, not depression, but they are linked, so I'm not sure which they'll recommend: anti-d or adhd stuff. They'll probably tell me I'm fine and don't need them but I just need something that doesn't involve loads and loads of therapeutic cognitive behavior change that I don't have the time for.

Seeking meds for a physical condition that you "should" be able to control like diabetes is not shameful. Let's try and think of ourselves like that.

7. ImaGuy

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When I was much younger I personally decided to go off of them because I thought it made me a fake person. But just recently, I was diagnosed with severe OCD and some depression, and I was at the lowest point in my life. I finally went back on my mess, and I have never been happier. It is not a defeat, it is not lowering yourself. It is simply supplying your brain with the chemicals it is lacking. I never suffered any side effects, but even if you do, I think there are many you can try, and find the one that works. You will be glad you tried it.

8. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you are prescribed SSRI's (a mild antidepressant) they should not have a highly sedating or numbing effect on your mood or feelings. It does take a number of weeks before these drugs begin to work though and even then it's only really to "take the edge off", but I'm guessing that's all you really want?

You may experience some side effects, in which case you should speak to the person who prescribed the medication as alternatives are available.

9. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for all the great responses, it is helpful. I still find I'm trying to talk myself out of it but I keep circling back to the fact that things aren't improving with the non pharmaceutical methods I've used in the past. Things like better diet, exercise, sleep and changing my outlook have always brought me back around.

Yeah Patrick you are correct about "taking the edge off." I luckily am not dealing with severe bipolar or something of that nature. More anxiety related issues which have probably created a depression or emotional paralysis almost. Possibly a mild PTSD, but it's still all anxiety. My goal here would be to try to have this just be temporary and come off the meds after 6 -12 months.

Any of you been able to come off a med down the road?

10. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I took Prozac for a short time - just over a year - when I had depression. I didn't rely on the med's alone, because I (with my GP) recognised the need to address the underlying issues and make the necessary changes to my life at that time. Coming out was one of those changes. From the outset we agreed that it should only be short-term to help me through a difficult time. The meds did help to "take the edge off".

It sounds like you are in a similar situation and may only need that temporary prescription, and it's actually better if you don't stay on them long term anyway. SSRI's are not considered addictive, but if people are prescribed any anti-depressants over the long term they do seem to develop a certain dependency on them and that's not healthy either.

11. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The relationship between anxiety and depression is not always obvious. I had chronic anxiety caused by a difficult work situation. The chronic anxiety resulted in a depressive episode. My doctor tried to medicate the depression with non-SSRI class antidepressants, which didn't work. We gave up and tried Ativan to address the anxiety and therapy to address the rest, which was more effective. Leaving the job and coming out were the ultimate cure.

#11 SiennaFire, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Having been medicated a few times in my life, I can say, for me so far, they didn't work. It's possible it wasn't the right type or dosage, but even then, I don't think they'd work for me. Nothing felt different... I thought and acted the same, but more importantly, I still felt the same. The only difference was, with medication, people would let me get away with more stuff, because it could be blamed on "having the wrong medication"...

Which is why I don't think my suspected condition has a medicated remedy, because it appears to be something more than chemicals or wiring. But, moving on...

I understand the whole "defeat" thing. We like to think we can muscle our way through life, alone, because we will it. But the reality is, sometimes, we need assistance. Me, I had to learn to shut up sometimes and listen to others. Other folks, maybe it's realizing that medication can actually help them. Besides, if you're as strong-willed as you claim, you shouldn't have to worry about becoming somebody else while medicated. Perceive it as a challenge, if you will, that will improve your opportunities when succeeded.

13. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just to clarify I don't perceive myself as being strong willed. More persistent in that no matter how dark or difficult a situation may get I just keep going, and failing and trying again until I get somewhere. I used to be able to do this with my anxiety as well but that doesn't seem to be the case now.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Just to clarify... that sounds like strong-willed to me.

<3

15. samsunstar

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    psych meds are your friend !!