1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First period?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by larkcarmen, Nov 15, 2015.

1. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am almost completely sure I've gotten my period. My underwear has kind of reddish-brown stuff (like half dried blood) and it feels like I'm being stabbed low on my torso. I have no clue what to do and tomorrow is Monday (God help me), any advice? I need help from the ladies and AFABs!

2. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

Sounds like your period to me. If you can get some pads from the store to wear to school. Don't use tampons right away unless you're comfortable doing so. I would keep an eye on it though, just in case. Not to scare you, because it is almost definitely your period. Sounds like some stupid cramps too. They are the worst!

3. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That actually scares me a lot less than if it wasn't my period because bleeding and the feeling of a gnome kicking my stomach is terrifying otherwise. Thanks for your post!

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, periods aren't very fun, and cramps are worse. I second waitwhat on getting pads first- or maybe thats just my fear of penetration, lol.

When I first had mine (I was eleven) I thought I'd pooped my pants. And then I thought I was dying, and when my mom explained it to me, I thought cramps happened because the egg was too big and heavy and it made my body hurt. (I imagined a hard-boiled, chicken's egg coming out of me)

If you somehow dont' have pads, try the school nurse or something. I'd recommend wearing one for the night, too. You don't want the japanese flag on your bed sheets. Also carry an extra or two in your bag or pocket during school and use the bathroom at least every 4 hours to check

5. alli o

alli o Guest

I would recommend telling someone that is close to you that has gotten it (ik it might me embarrassing) so the can hook you up with some pads otherwise for now do a lot of toilet paper and try to relax you will be ok

6. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, guys!
    I'll have to let my mom know but luckily my stepdad bought me everything months ahead of time so I'm good for now. You're all lovely, thank you for the advice!

7. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get pretty bad cramps. Combining one paracetamol (I think that's called acetaminophen in the US) with one ibuprofen and taking a hot shower is my go-to pain relief, and tends to be pretty effective. Might want to wear some dark pants for the next couple of days, just in case.

8. InfinityonHigh

Am I allowed here lol? Most of the time, first periods aren't very heavy. When you go to school tomorrow though, bring a few pads along with you. Change it whenever it starts getting full, usually they say 4 hours or so but it depends. Even if your period isn't very heavy you still might want to change it every few hours. I'd bring more than you think you might need just in case though. Fold layers of toilet paper for a makeshift pad if that situation ever comes up. Do you have one of those single-use stick on heating pads? Stick one to your lower abdomen area if you do. You won't know what I'm talking about if you've never seen one of those. Heating pads help cramps a lot. Take pain meds if you feel the need to, keep a few around with you.

9. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    InfinityonHigh- AFABs of any gender are allowed in the conversation so yeah xD
    Unfortunately, I do not have any heating pads or pain meds so I get to suffer. Yay. -_- Thanks, and wish me luck!

10. InfinityonHigh

This is a little late but good luck! (ask your mom or someone that has stuff for heating pads and/or pain meds)

11. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now I'm confused. The cramps were much more mild today and I had no blood/discharge at all.

12. TraceElement

Its normal. When you first get it, it can be inconsistent. Spotting (just a little) one day then nothing for a few weeks. It may not be on a predictable schedule for up to a year or 2, so don't worry.

13. InfinityonHigh

Yup, the first few periods (or even longer) are really irregular and weird. Mostly you'll have to wait it out for it to get regular, although some people never really get regular.

14. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Definitely your period, sorry hun. Cramps are no fun:frowning2: If possible, I'd definitely recomend getting some pain meds (ibuprofen works best for most) or even asking your doctor. If you have bad cramps, it can actually help a TON to start taking ibuprofen a day or two before you know your period's going to start and make sure you keep on schedule with pain meds. If you're a little bit late taking more after it's worn off the cramps will come back hard! I've had my period for years and still do that a lot haha.

If you don't have heat pads, try filling a plastic bag of some sort with hot water (make sure it won't spill though). You can also try ice packs. That doesn't work for most people I think but it helps me so worth a try if need be.

ALSO KEEP IN MIND: Like some others said, your first several periods can be very irregular for some people (could range from the first few to a few years). It generally takes about a month from one period to the next, but it's not abnormal for it to take longer. For the first few years of having my period, I used to freak out every time it came a week or two later than it was supposed to because I thought it meant I was pregnant even though there was no possible way for me to have gotten pregnant:slight_smile:. So seriously, don't worry if it's irregular at all, that's completely normal. If you do have any concerns, try to get used to talking to your doctor about it.
    Also, it's normal for your flow to vary throughout your period (like it can get heavier, then more and more light until it's done).

ALSO:
    If you notice what seems like globs of blood/fleshy-stringy stuff that is completely normal. That's actually the wall of your uterus breaking down a bit, which is what your period is so that is completely and totally supposed to happen so don't be alarmed.

SOME MORE TIPS:
    --When showering it's good wash yourself down there with water thoroughly first, even spreading your legs apart a bit

--If you're ever concerned about anything with your period, you should talk to your mom or a doctor or even a school nurse. It may seem awkward but it's better than worrying and it could even be something you don't understand yet that's completely normal so it's better to find out
    --Change your pads every few hourse EVEN at school. For this, it's good to bring a little purse/wallet to bring to the bathroom or even hide pads/tampons in a boot if you're wearing some
    --If you're ever in a bind, don't be afraid to ask someone for help or to borrow a pad/tampon or anything because anyone who has their period will be super understanding!
    --When disposing of pads and tampons, it's best to wrap them in toilet paper or a wrapper for sanitary reasons and so people don't look in the trash and see
    --Try to avoid lighter pants while on your period just in case
    --If you ever leak through and don't have new pants, a good cover-up is to wrap a sweatshirt around your waste
    --You may want to use old underwear you don't care about so much because blood stains do happen
    --It's not good to go swimming in pools and things without tampons (especially with other people in enclosed pools) but if you are ever in a situation like that or even at the beach, it's good to know that you don't actually release any blood while submerged in water. Don't ask me how it works but it does!
    --Sometimes if you're spending lots of time with other people on their periods (especially sleeping in the same area for several nights) hormones can make your periods sync up.

Sorry if that was long to read, but I hope it's helpful to you!!

---------- Post added 17th Nov 2015 at 05:22 PM ----------

I probably made it seem like leaking through is really common there so sorry because it's not for most people!
    It's actually never happened to me while wearing a pad, except through underwear a bit but never pants. Although it can happen, especially for people who tend to have heavier periods. Just change your pad often and try to get a good size pad (you can try out different sizes and brands) and you should be good.
    Also I don't know what pads you have, but they do make night ones that are longer so when you're laying down it doesn't leak out.
    Other than that, you don't have to do anything different really. Like at night you can still lay any which way (I was confused about that at first).
    Also it's a good idea to keep extra pads/tampons in a bag you carry with you or wallet or your backpack or locker because you never know when you may need one in the future.

#14 bubbles123, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  15. optionthree

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Cramps do tend to be worse on the first day... One thing I find helps is a hot bath with bath salts because they contain a lot of magnesium, which helps relieve cramps. Also food like dark chocolate and bananas because they are also high in magnesium. Hope I helped!

16. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, good ol' periods. I think I got my first one around fourteen as well, and yeah cramps are pretty horrible. Also I concur with the poster above, dark chocolate is a good source of magnesium, it's good for cramps, and it also keeps your blood sugar up whilst you're on your period (you may feel tired/drowsy and irritable, and feel like eating comfort food as a result) and you can avoid foods with higher sugar intakes because overly high amounts of sugar can actually worsen cramps even though your body craves it. Hence why dark chocolate is good because it has less sugar (certainly less artificial sugar certainly, although they usually only put artificial sweeteners in the really cheap stuff) in generally than milk or white chocolate, but you still get a small amount of sugar to keep you going and a good amount of magnesium and I hear it's also a good source of vitamin B12.

But I'm not saying just eat chocolate here of course, it's good to try and stay healthy. And of course, bananas are also a good source of magnesium like the above poster has stated. I hear they're also good for improving your overall quality of sleep, along with drinking hot milk. :slight_smile: Good luck, I know periods aren't great to say the least. (*hug*)

#16 Canterpiece, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  17. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bubbles- Thanks for the long and imformative piece of text. That really helps

Canterpiece- I'm actually 13, I was still 12 when I signed up so I lied. But thank you for the information.

Anyway, just to recap- inconsistency is a yes, my uterus killing itself is a yes, god-awful cramps are a yes. Isn't being AFAB fun.

18. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also, my doctor is male so it's not really something I would be comfortable discussing.

19. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey! Sorry I'm really late to the discussion, everyone else has had really good advice but I just thought I would add- do not use tampons until you get a steady flow. Most people have trouble using them the first time, and if you're not bleeding enough, they will hurt coming in and out.
    As for cramps? I take ibuprofen, mine tend to be hellish. Good luck! (*hug*)

20. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, Cody! I actually didn't know that.