1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to my doctor?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by hsoj, Nov 27, 2015.

1. hsoj

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've got a problem (this is it, if you're looking for more information), and I feel like talking to a doctor about it wouldn't be a bad idea.

However, I'm not quite sure if I should, or if it's socially acceptable I guess. It's not that I don't trust my doctor or anything, but he's a straight guy who's had me since I was a lot younger, and it just seems weird to ask him about stuff. That being said, I do want a professional opinion or something.. I guess. I just don't know where to find it.

Is talking to my doctor about that sorta stuff (anal, if you didn't click the link above) acceptable? Plus, in complete honesty -- would it be weird? Is there someone better I should talk to?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To a doctor, these questions are technical. They study for that profession, and it is totally ok to ask questions about your body to your doctor. In fact, if you have any doubts about your health/well being/body, i encourage you to talk to your doctor.

In most cases, if he isn't able to answer the question, he can probably recommend you to a more specific doctor.

You don't need to worry about being "socially acceptable". You have a honest question about body health, and the doctor is being paid to take care of you.

If you aren't confortable with this doctor, you could try to find another one.

3. InbornGame

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I'm in medical school right now, and your question highlights one of the more disappointing/frustrating aspects of my education so far (and also something that I'm trying to change at my school). I can tell you that US-trained physicians, in general, do not get a lot of training in dealing with health issues that are specific to gender or sexual minorities unless they've sought it out specifically.

BUT...that shouldn't stop you from asking your questions. You are totally entitled to ask your doctor questions about sexual health--that is 100% acceptable. In fact, if you've been seeing this doctor for a while now and he hasn't broached the topic of sexual health with you, then that's an oversight on his part. If he's not comfortable answering your questions (or if you're not comfortable even asking them) you should try to find another doctor.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

4. aussielefty

I have talked to my doctor about my sex life since coming out to her and I too
    knew her when i was at a young age, and coming back to her was good for me..

I just say something like , "I'm a bit embarrassed to ask but its not about being rude but wanting to find out about my own body" and she has been really good to me about talking about stuff since then. I am so grateful for that..

you could try that , worked for me...

5. Gay1234

Your doctor should support you and elpcyou as it is his job. Don't go to jo. If we homophobic as tat would be a disaster.