1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Get Proper Sleep

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Kid Quasar, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Kid Quasar

Proper Sleep

A 'How To' guide by Mood

Like most other teens and apparently a lot of users of EC, I've been having problems with sleep, so I went to my health teacher and got some important information that I didn't know before. Here is my guide for better sleep;

First off let me tell you how lost sleep affects you. Sleep is like money in a bank account, when you sleep you get energy, like working gets you money. When you are awake you burn up that energy performing everyday tasks and whatnot, like buying essentials and utilities. If you don't get enough sleep and stay up way too long you will have a sort of 'sleep debt' similar to spending more money than you had in the bank.

Like a money debt, sleep debts must be repaid in full. Such as getting the normal amount of pay for a normal amount of work at a job won't cover your debt in the bank, sleeping the full amount of hours you need at night won't get rid of the sleep debt, which can affect you over time as it builds up each time you don't get enough sleep. As it builds up, you operate less efficiently, and it won't fix itself.

Make sure to take short naps through out the day whenever your schedule allows you free time. It would be bad to just add that to your sleep time over the weekend or vacation. When you try to make up those sleep debts by altering your sleep schedule, you would go out of balance and eventually you'd end up with the debt once again. Always keep a balanced sleep schedule and make sure your naps are no longer then 20 minutes when it's after noon, or else you will feel groggy and you'll be more intended to stay awake past a good bed time.

Some people think caffeine is a decent alternative to sleep. They're completely wrong. If you are tired in the morning and decide to fix it with a hot mug of coffee, then it wouldn't be so bad as long as you try to fix whatever made you so tired in he first place, such as a proper bed time. It's a bad idea to drink caffeine in the afternoon or evening, it will keep you up past a decent hour and cause havoc on your sleep schedule. Coffee or energy drinks may seem like a quick solution for lack of energy, but once the boost wears off, you are worse off then when you started.

If there is someone in your household who is keeping you up past a decent hour, then kindly ask them to tone it down a bit. If they are being rude about it then it may be best to purchase a cheap blindfold, a set of earplugs, and possibly some herbal tea. Make sure pets, cellphones, and beepers are in another room and out of earshot.

R.E.M sleep is the most important part of sleep. Sure it's where all your wonderful dreams(sometimes nightmares) come from, but it's also very important to brain capacity. R.E.M sleep basically merges reality with unreality, in other words your experiences from your day with you imagination, thus creating dreams. This process develops more strengthened memories, it turns short term memories into long term memories, so it is very important. R.E.M occurs every 90 minutes of sleep, each time it lasts longer and grows stronger as long as sleep remains uninterrupted.
    Things to remember:

1. Get at least nine hours of sleep(not eight as most would think)
    2. Maintain a regular sleep schedule, even on weekends and vacations.
    3. Make up your sleep debt.
    4. Naps should be 5-20 minutes long to get some energy and avoid being groggy.
    5. No caffeine after noon.
    6. Make sure to take precautions so that your sleep remains completely uninterrupted.

Tell me what you guys think of my guide. Took me some time to put information together from the notes I took, but I think I got the point across.
    -Mood​

2. Cool Beans

That's really good advice. (I say that as I sit here yawning.) I would like very much to put it into practice!

3. joss22

This is really good to know, but I hate waking up from naps, I always wake up in a bad mood...than again, I almost always nap for about an hour, which you explain here. NINE hours of sleep though? I still have difficulty getting eight...

4. Kid Quasar

That's what I thought too, I've actually found out it's well rested when you get 9.25 hours of sleep, but 9 hours is great too. 8 hours would probably be the best most could pull off.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No caffeine after noon? Wow, I never knew that one. I don't think I could do that step. Lol.

6. Great advice :slight_smile: But... 5-20 minute naps? I'd still be awake when my allotted time was up. Any suggestions on how to get to sleep? I can be dead tired and still have plenty of trouble actually falling asleep.

7. Derek the Wolf

Sounds like good advice. Not gonna follow it though.
    4-6 Hours is plenty. These things never take into account the fact that people are different.
    Some things are more important than sleep.

NOONE TAKE THIS AS ADVICE. Just sayin how I do things.

8. joss22

I find this extremely humerous. And yeah, some things are more important than sleep, but I think we all agree that few things are more important than being awake/conscious, which only happens if you sleep enough (for your body at least) Personally, I would love to get 9.25 hours of sleep each night though :thumbsup:

9. Trace

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is good advice, I would love to get that much sleep, but that bad part is waking up, although I will try this.

10. Kid Quasar

Actually, the more I got used to my new sleep schedule, the less of a hassle is was to get out of bed, I actually hopped out of bed during my first few moments of consciousness.

11. musican

Exactly what I was thinking, there's no way I would be able to get sleep in 20 minutes, some days it takes over an hour to get to sleep.

12. Phantasma

Interesting advice. My sleep patterns are horrid.. unfortunately I think my sleep debt is way too big now to be payed off with 5-20 minute naps. :lol: I average 5 hours a night these days. 6 in a perfect night scenario.

I go to sleep much later than I should.. simply because I can. I don't want to go to sleep when I know I will end up lying there thinking "Why am I trying to go to sleep, it's too early, I could still get something done." even though I'm absolutely sure that I will end up not doing it and playing on the computer instead. I've programmed myself pretty strongly to not give in to sleepiness until I'm almost exhausted. An unhealthy thing to do I know.. but I just don't like it much to be honest. I'd rather be awake and tired as all hell, but thinking about something or getting something done.

My name is jared, and I'm a sleep depraved, lazy work-aholic :slight_smile:

13. musican

A lazy work-aholic, isn't that an oxymoron?

14. kaster

Getting too much sleep would feel like a waste of time. When I have a proper day off everything (which is rare) I'll indulge in sleeping til like..4pm, but generally I'll stay up later if I know Im sleeping all day.
    But while Im at Uni, I need my early mornings and day time for studying and uni stuff then at night I either want to go out or want to just relax and talk to friends on my computer or watch a movie/tv. I couldnt do that bit if I had to sleep for 9 hours.
    it seems excessive, is this for younger still developing teenagers? Cause on GMTV (Y) they said 6 hours for Adults is suficient. No (or little) growth to be done.

15. waitingsucks

very helpful. thanks

16. Blondeye

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Helpful though I too have a problem getting that much sleep. I also do not fall asleep when taking a nap for at least 30 minutes. Thank you for your entry.

17. chivalrous

the only time i cant get a good night sleep is when im excited about something grrr :frowning2:
    Even when i go to bed and try not to think about it!!! :grin: well cant help that.